"service refresh" can kill system from userspace? - Minix

This is a discussion on "service refresh" can kill system from userspace? - Minix ; Hi. Yet another qestion. Just after Minix installation I've tried 'service'. "service - Start or stop an operating system server or device driver." I've tried restart 'fs' server, but instead that I push whole system down. So, all these things ...

  1. "service refresh" can kill system from userspace?

    Hi.

    Yet another qestion.
    Just after Minix installation I've tried 'service'.
    "service - Start or stop an operating system server or device driver."

    I've tried restart 'fs' server, but instead that I push whole system
    down.

    So, all these things I've done from userspace (non root account).
    That have I done wrong during system installation and configuration
    if anyone can kill system by one command?

    $service refresh 4
    * PM: FS died
    RS: exec failed for /sbin/fs: 105
    =======================
    system doesn't respond

    "4" is PID of fs,
    fs did't install in /sbin/

    Thx!

    Al.

  2. Re: "service refresh" can kill system from userspace?

    Hello,

    > Yet another qestion.
    >
    > I've tried restart 'fs' server, but instead that I push whole system
    > down.

    On Minix 2 there are two critical services - fs and mm. I don't know if
    there are more in Minix 3.
    If any of these fails, it cannot get restarted. You need memory management
    (mm) to start any process and you need a file system (fs) to find the
    process you want to start. Any other service can be restarted this way.

    This is a design issue - if mm or fs fail, the system is down.

    > So, all these things I've done from userspace (non root account).
    > That have I done wrong during system installation and configuration
    > if anyone can kill system by one command?

    Possibly not. Again, I think this is a design issue. You could try with
    other services as well; if "mm" (and possibly others) are secured then it is
    simply a bug. If not, it is a feature - or a choice of design.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: "service refresh" can kill system from userspace?

    In article <1172066954.509076.103860@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Just after Minix installation I've tried 'service'.
    >"service - Start or stop an operating system server or device driver."
    >
    >I've tried restart 'fs' server, but instead that I push whole system
    >down.
    >
    >So, all these things I've done from userspace (non root account).
    >That have I done wrong during system installation and configuration
    >if anyone can kill system by one command?

    RS is still very much work in progress. There are a lot of checks missing.