Mounting cdrom - Minix

This is a discussion on Mounting cdrom - Minix ; As I mentioned earlier I have a short list of problems with my install of Minix 3. When I attempted to start X, xdm complains that "getconfig" can't find the perl module File::Glob. Upon perusal I found that the standard ...

  1. Mounting cdrom

    As I mentioned earlier I have a short list of problems with my install
    of Minix 3. When I attempted to start X, xdm complains that
    "getconfig" can't find the perl module File::Glob. Upon perusal I
    found that the standard perl modules weren't on my system, and
    searching the archives here found a post to the effect that the
    default install is missing perl modules, and I should do a packman
    install.

    Unfortunately I'm not networked yet (and probably won't be until next
    week), so I decided to cut the provided perl package to a CD and
    install it from there.

    So my question is how do I do a simple mount of my cdrom drive?

    Larry Johnson

  2. Re: Mounting cdrom

    On Feb 20, 3:30 am, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 19 Feb 2007 18:11:07 -0800, Ozymandias
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > As I mentioned earlier I have a short list of problems with my install
    > > of Minix 3. When I attempted to start X, xdm complains that
    > > "getconfig" can't find the perl module File::Glob. Upon perusal I
    > > found that the standard perl modules weren't on my system, and
    > > searching the archives here found a post to the effect that the
    > > default install is missing perl modules, and I should do a packman
    > > install.

    > > Unfortunately I'm not networked yet (and probably won't be until next
    > > week), so I decided to cut the provided perl package to a CD and
    > > install it from there.

    > > So my question is how do I do a simple mount of mycdromdrive?

    > If I'm not mistaken, the Minix 3 install cd contains a minix filesystem.
    > For standard iso9660 cdroms, you don't mount them, you use isoread and
    > isodir.
    >
    > --
    > There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.

    Hi guys, I'm having a similar problem. if you cannot access the cd-rom
    directly, how do I use the command isodir? I'm not really sure what
    the special name argument should be or how to find it. Any help would
    be appreciated.

  3. Re: Mounting cdrom

    On Feb 26, 12:53 am, Vertex.Stud...@gmail.com wrote:

    > ... if you cannot access the cd-rom
    > directly, how do I use the command isodir? I'm not really sure what
    > the special name argument should be or how to find it. Any help would
    > be appreciated.

    There are man pages for the isoinfo, isodir, and isoread commands.

    The part command is your friend for identifying devices, and finding
    their names. It isn't just something to use when installing a new
    system.

    On a running Minix system, as root type "part" at the command line. On
    the display that results, initially /dev/c0d0 will be highlighted.
    This device is always a hard disk. Type 'r' to see how it is
    partitioned. Type '+' to move on to the next major device, which will
    be /dev/c0d1. It is possible there will be no device corresponding to
    this name. If a device is present you will see how it is partitioned.
    If there is no device there you will see

    "/dev/c0d1: No such device or address"

    Now press '+' again, to see /dev/c0d2. If it is the CD-ROM drive and
    there is no CD currently in the drive you will see:

    "/dev/c0d2: Readonly
    /dev/c0d2: I/O error
    /dev/c0d2: Invalid partition table (reset)"

    If there is a CD in the drive, but it is not a Minix CD you will see:

    "/dev/c0d2: Readonly
    /dev/c0d2: Invalid partition table (reset)"

    If there is a Minix CD in the drive CD you will see just the readonly
    message and the partition table.

    In most cases you will find the CD-ROM drive is c0d2, but it could
    also be c0d1 or c0d3.

    With a standard installation CD-ROM for Minix 3, the CD will appear
    to have three Minix partitions. However, p0 is not really a Minix
    file system, and it can't be mounted.

    You can read the directory of a non-Minix CD or of p0 of a Minix CD
    with the isodir command:

    asw> isodir /dev/c0d2
    bootflop.img presz134.zip readme.txt setup.pdf
    setup.ps
    version.txt

    (Note that you don't need to specify a partition, to the isodir
    command there is no difference between the 0th partition and the
    entire CD).

    To access the Minix-formatted partitions you must mount them, like
    this (note the -r is important for a CD, a read-only device):

    asw> mount -r /dev/c0d2p1 /mnt
    /dev/c0d2p1 is read-only mounted on /mnt

    To read the files on p0 or on a non-Minix CD use isoread. It outputs
    to standard output, so for a long file you can pipe it to "more" to
    read on the screen or you can redirect to a file to save on your hard
    disk:

    For instance, to read a file:

    asw> isoread /dev/c0d2 readme.txt | more

    or to copy from the CD to the current Minix directory:

    asw> isoread /dev/c0d2 readme.txt > readme.txt

    The remaining iso* command is isoinfo. Like isodir it sees the entire
    CD and the 0th partition as the same thing. For a Minix disk this is
    all it sees, that is, the size it reports is only the size of the iso-
    formatted part of the CD, and doesn't include the space used by p1,
    p2, or p3.

    - Al

  4. Re: Mounting cdrom

    In article <1172530777.410360.155110@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    Al Woodhull wrote:
    >On
    >the display that results, initially /dev/c0d0 will be highlighted.
    >This device is always a hard disk.

    This is not true. On systems with SATA disks and IDE CD-ROMs, c0d0 may
    very well be a CD-ROM device.

  5. Re: Mounting cdrom

    On Feb 27, 3:25 am, phi...@ue.aioy.eu (Philip Homburg) wrote:
    > In article <1172530777.410360.155...@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    >
    > Al Woodhull wrote:
    > >On
    > >the display that results, initially /dev/c0d0 will be highlighted.
    > >This device is always a hard disk.

    > This is not true. On systems with SATA disks and IDE CD-ROMs, c0d0 may
    > very well be a CD-ROM device.

    You are right, of course. I should have stated c0d0 has always been a
    hard disk on the old machines on which I have tested Minix. You
    clearly have access to newer hardware than I do.

+ Reply to Thread