shell scripts? - Minix

This is a discussion on shell scripts? - Minix ; I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone point me in ...

  1. shell scripts?

    I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on
    vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a
    decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone
    point me in that direction. If not, could some one put one together?

    Thanks...

    Don Mansfield
    don_at_mangoland.org

  2. Re: shell scripts?

    > I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on
    > vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a
    > decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone
    > point me in that direction. If not, could some one put one together?

    Shell scripts in Minix work just like with other Unix-like systems.

    Be sure to specify the interpreter on the first line
    (typically "#!/bin/sh") and to give execute permission using chmod.

  3. Re: shell scripts?

    > I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on
    > vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a
    > decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone
    > point me in that direction. If not, could some one put one together?

    Example:

    -- begin
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "Hello World"
    -- end

    then execute:
    # chmod +x myscript.sh

    Possibly you forgot the chmod (setting the executable format).
    On the other hand, there is a lot about shell scripts in Unix/Linux, of
    which much applies to Minix, too.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  4. Re: shell scripts?

    Sebastian wrote:
    >> I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on
    >> vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a
    >> decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone
    >> point me in that direction. If not, could some one put one together?

    > Example:

    > -- begin
    > #!/bin/sh
    > echo "Hello World"
    > -- end

    > then execute:
    > # chmod +x myscript.sh

    > Possibly you forgot the chmod (setting the executable format).
    > On the other hand, there is a lot about shell scripts in Unix/Linux, of
    > which much applies to Minix, too.

    Don't forget to launch the script as

    # ./myscript.sh

    because the current working directory is probably not in your PATH.

    --
    Jens de Smit

    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: shell scripts?

    On Feb 19, 1:20 am, "Mango Don" wrote:
    > I am trying to write and execute shell scripts on Minix running on
    > vmware. I can't seem to get any scripts to operate. Is there a
    > decent step-by-step howto for scripts for Minix? If so, could someone
    > point me in that direction. If not, could some one put one together?

    There are several suggestions of references for shell script
    programming on my "Programming in the Minix Environment" page at
    http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/program.html.

    - Al

+ Reply to Thread