USB printing - Minix

This is a discussion on USB printing - Minix ; This is my first post here, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm a solaris sysadmin, and I've been using Linux at home since 1995, and at work for the past few years, so I'm pretty comfortable with unix-like systems. I've ...

  1. USB printing

    This is my first post here, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm a
    solaris sysadmin, and I've been using Linux at home since 1995, and at
    work for the past few years, so I'm pretty comfortable with unix-like
    systems. I've been following the monolithic vs micro-kernel debates
    from the beginning, and have decided to install Minix 3 and evaluate
    it for myself.

    I'm also willing to do what I can within my skillsets and time
    constraints to help make it better. I've installed Minix 3 on a box I
    have, have read the online documentation, and have ordered
    Operating Systems Design and Implementation (should be here within a
    day or two).

    My install, as I would expect when installing an OS I've never used
    before,, had mixed results (I have a bootable filesystem and various
    command line utilities work, but perl, X, networking, and printing are
    works in progress),

    I'm going to take the broken things one at a time. Bear in mind that
    I'm reading the documentation, including the FAQs and searches on this
    newsgroup, so if you want to RTFM me please point me to the correct FM

    My first question is how do I set up my USB printer if it is indeed
    possible at this point? It's a Lexmark x1185.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: USB printing

    Ozymandias wrote:

    > My first question is how do I set up my USB printer if it is indeed
    > possible at this point? It's a Lexmark x1185.

    As far as I know, the USB drivers are still a work in progress. The work
    is being done by Peter Boonstoppel, check out
    http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html for more information. The sad
    conclusion here is that you probably will not be able to use anything
    USB just yet...

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: USB printing

    On Feb 19, 9:50 am, Smit de JF wrote:

    > As far as I know, the USB drivers are still a work in progress. The work
    > is being done by Peter Boonstoppel, check outhttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.htmlfor more information. The sad
    > conclusion here is that you probably will not be able to use anything
    > USB just yet...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens

    Thanks. Browsing the documentation, I'd come to the conclusion that
    the usb drivers might not be finished, but "hope springs eternal" :-)
    I'll scrounge up a parallel port printer to attach, and periodically
    enquire about the progress of usb drivers.

+ Reply to Thread