Which edition of the book? - Minix

This is a discussion on Which edition of the book? - Minix ; Operating Systems: design and implementation - I'm not sure whether to buy the 2nd or 3rd edition. I want the one T. used to teach in his course with all the source code explained. Any suggestion? Thank you :-)...

  1. Which edition of the book?

    Operating Systems: design and implementation - I'm not sure whether to
    buy the 2nd or 3rd edition. I want the one T. used to teach in his
    course with all the source code explained.

    Any suggestion?

    Thank you :-)

  2. Re: Which edition of the book?

    On Feb 17, 6:41 pm, "Giulio Severini"
    wrote:
    > Operating Systems: design and implementation - I'm not sure whether to
    > buy the 2nd or 3rd edition. I want the one T. used to teach in his
    > course with all the source code explained.
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Thank you :-)

    Get the third edition. It is the one with all the source code in the
    book (the second edition didn't have that). The third edition uses
    examples with source code too, which I like.

  3. Re: Which edition of the book?

    "Pablo Rodriguez" writes:

    > On Feb 17, 6:41 pm, "Giulio Severini"
    > wrote:
    >> Operating Systems: design and implementation - I'm not sure whether to
    >> buy the 2nd or 3rd edition. I want the one T. used to teach in his
    >> course with all the source code explained.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion?
    >>
    >> Thank you :-)

    > Get the third edition. It is the one with all the source code in the
    > book (the second edition didn't have that). The third edition uses

    My 2nd edition has source: Appendix A, pages 513 - ~900.

    Regards -- Markus

    > examples with source code too, which I like.

  4. Re: Which edition of the book?

    Giulio Severini wrote:
    > Operating Systems: design and implementation - I'm not sure whether to
    > buy the 2nd or 3rd edition. I want the one T. used to teach in his
    > course with all the source code explained.

    > Any suggestion?

    The biggest difference between the books is the version of Minix they describe.
    The 2nd edition covers Minix 2, the third edition Minix 3. Since Minix 2 is
    discontinued in favor of Minix 3 and the 3rd edition is by definition more
    modern, I would recommend getting the 3rd edition.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit

    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: Which edition of the book?

    On Feb 19, 7:55 am, Smit de JF wrote:
    > Since Minix 2 is
    > discontinued in favor of Minix 3 and the 3rd edition is by definition more
    > modern, I would recommend getting the 3rd edition.

    I should warn that the Minix 3 book doesn't print all the source code;
    I don't think it even lists enough required to get it to run. It
    boasts that the kernel is very small, but that's achieved by
    offloading mandatory operating system pieces as user programs, so the
    "real" kernel is too big to fit in a book.

  6. Re: Which edition of the book?

    thissteve@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 7:55 am, Smit de JF wrote:
    >> Since Minix 2 is
    >> discontinued in favor of Minix 3 and the 3rd edition is by definition more
    >> modern, I would recommend getting the 3rd edition.

    > I should warn that the Minix 3 book doesn't print all the source code;
    > I don't think it even lists enough required to get it to run. It
    > boasts that the kernel is very small, but that's achieved by
    > offloading mandatory operating system pieces as user programs, so the
    > "real" kernel is too big to fit in a book.

    No, the entire operating system is bigger than was deemed fit for the
    book. The kernel is still small, it's called a microkernel for a
    reason.

    It would be perfectly possible to print all the source code and publish it
    as a book, but what's the use? The book comes with a CD for a reason:
    copying the source files and compiling them is somewhat easier than
    copying them from the book by hand.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --