can't get iso's to work - Minix

This is a discussion on can't get iso's to work - Minix ; I must be a complete idiot: downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it ...

  1. can't get iso's to work

    I must be a complete idiot:
    downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they
    both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are
    unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it me or is it
    nero?

  2. Re: can't get iso's to work

    On Feb 14, 11:34 pm, vlholme...@netzero.net wrote:
    > I must be a complete idiot:
    > downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they
    > both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are
    > unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it me or is it
    > nero?

    It is likely both you /and/ Nero. You probably haven't found and used
    the proper Nero option to burn a .iso to CD.

    As I understand it, Nero hides the option you need. Look for something
    in the Nero menus that will "burn file as a CD image", and use that.
    Otherwise, Nero burns the CD as a directory containing the .iso as a
    file, not as a CD who's contents are the contents of the .iso file.

    HTH
    --
    Lew

  3. Re: can't get iso's to work

    > downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they
    > both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are
    > unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it me or is it
    > nero?

    Did you burn the files as images onto a cd?

    In Nero 6 there is a menu called "Rekorder" -> "Image brennen" (in english
    they might be called "Writer" (4th item) -> "Burn image" (4th item) ).
    If you did, you might give cdrecord a try. It is included in cygwin, but a
    win32 port should exist.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  4. Re: can't get iso's to work

    On Feb 15, 9:42 am, "Sebastian" wrote:
    > > downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they
    > > both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are
    > > unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it me or is it
    > > nero?

    > Did you burn the files as images onto a cd?
    >
    > In Nero 6 there is a menu called "Rekorder" -> "Image brennen" (in english
    > they might be called "Writer" (4th item) -> "Burn image" (4th item) ).
    > If you did, you might give cdrecord a try. It is included in cygwin, but a
    > win32 port should exist.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    I just burned a fedora iso to reassure myself that the burner & nero
    are still ok. The reason I am trying to try MINIX3 is because a
    friend gave me an old laptop (133MHx, 24MByte RAM) that is
    'inadequate' for Linux. I downloaded the uncompressed MINIX2 on DOS
    and put it on. It is wonderful, but I prepared a partition just for
    MINIX, and want to put on the latest & greatest in it's pure form. I
    am almost convinced nero just doesn't like me and/or the MINIX3.iso.
    Thanks for the advice, but the problem goes deeper than finding the
    right button in nero.

  5. Re: can't get iso's to work

    a little more info. I downloaded a couple of other burners, and both
    created cd's that were unreadable. I downloaded a utility called
    ISOedit which would expand and exreact (at least some of) the iso. It
    gave me this:

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\minix3

    BOOTFLOP IMG 1,474,560 02-15-07 7:44p BOOTFLOP.IMG
    PRESZ134 ZIP 100,192 02-15-07 7:44p PRESZ134.ZIP
    README TXT 2,691 02-15-07 7:44p README.TXT
    SETUP PDF 25,032 02-15-07 7:44p SETUP.PDF
    SETUP PS 48,748 02-15-07 7:44p SETUP.PS
    VERSION TXT 69 02-15-07 7:44p VERSION.TXT
    7 file(s) 1,651,292 bytes

    the ReadMe.txt does not list any files that do not appear in the
    directory listing, but the 1.6MByte size makes be believe that the
    "many invisible files used for installing MINIX 3." mentioned are
    missing. I have used every angle I know in windows and dos to find
    them, and can't. Soooooo, is there any alternative means of
    obtaining the 'many hidden files'. At this point, I would really like
    to find a place to download an un-iso'd minix3 install, since the
    compressed, but not iso'd minix2 for dos works so well.
    Thanks again, lew

  6. Re: can't get iso's to work

    In article <1171642096.551365.190750@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >the ReadMe.txt does not list any files that do not appear in the
    >directory listing, but the 1.6MByte size makes be believe that the
    >"many invisible files used for installing MINIX 3." mentioned are
    >missing.

    They are invisible. So, they won't appear in directory listings.

    >Soooooo, is there any alternative means of
    >obtaining the 'many hidden files'.

    A much better alternative is to make absolutely sure that the message
    digest matches, and then install bochs, qemu, or vmware server and boot
    the CD in an emulator to see whether the image still fails.

    There is a small possibility that Minix cannot handle your hardware.

  7. Re: can't get iso's to work

    On Feb 16, 1:38 pm, phi...@ue.aioy.eu (Philip Homburg) wrote:
    > In article <1171642096.551365.190...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    >
    > wrote:
    > >the ReadMe.txt does not list any files that do not appear in the
    > >directory listing, but the 1.6MByte size makes be believe that the
    > >"many invisible files used for installing MINIX 3." mentioned are
    > >missing.

    > They are invisible. So, they won't appear in directory listings.

    yes, invisible, but they do use bytes. When I look at any one of the
    more than half dozen cd's I have trashed trying different
    decompression software and different burner programs in various
    permutations, the burned portion of the cd appears to be about 1/4 of
    the burnable radius...

    > >Soooooo, is there any alternative means of
    > >obtaining the 'many hidden files'.

    > A much better alternative is to make absolutely sure that the message
    > digest matches, and then install bochs, qemu, or vmware server and boot
    > the CD in an emulator to see whether the image still fails.

    I guess I failed to clearly convey the problem. When i put the cd in
    the drive and click on theT: icon in windows explorer, windows
    regurgetates a message:
    T:\ is not accessable.
    A device attached to the system is not working.

    I honestly don't believe you can boot a cd that you can't read, but if
    you would be kind enough to provide me with more specific
    instructions, I would like to give it a try. I have installed bochs
    and minix204, and they work ..

    > There is a small possibility that Minix cannot handle your hardware.

    again minix runs in the emulator, and minix for dos runs fine. (both
    are 2.0.4 and were downloaded uncompressed, though)

    > --
    > That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    > could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    > by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    > -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

    (maybe the Vogons have infected my brain, but I'm begining to think
    resistance is futile)

  8. Re: can't get iso's to work

    In article <1171681025.113652.145990@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >On Feb 16, 1:38 pm, phi...@ue.aioy.eu (Philip Homburg) wrote:
    >> In article <1171642096.551365.190...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >> >the ReadMe.txt does not list any files that do not appear in the
    >> >directory listing, but the 1.6MByte size makes be believe that the
    >> >"many invisible files used for installing MINIX 3." mentioned are
    >> >missing.

    >> They are invisible. So, they won't appear in directory listings.

    >yes, invisible, but they do use bytes. When I look at any one of the
    >more than half dozen cd's I have trashed trying different
    >decompression software and different burner programs in various
    >permutations, the burned portion of the cd appears to be about 1/4 of
    >the burnable radius...

    Let me first point out the existance of CD-RW. There is no point in trashing
    an endless series of CD-Rs, if you can just use one CD-RW.

    I verified both images and they both decompress to a 427819008 byte image
    with md5 sum 5572a697a3ae7a56aeabeb1871d8b0e2

    >> There is a small possibility that Minix cannot handle your hardware.

    >again minix runs in the emulator, and minix for dos runs fine. (both
    >are 2.0.4 and were downloaded uncompressed, though)

    Bochs should be able to use a file as a CD-ROM image. If the decompressed
    image has the size and sum listed above, then bochs should be able to use it.
    There is no need to burn it to a CD if you want to use it in an emulator.

    If you have some kind of Unix, you can verify to contents of the CD
    using
    dd < your-cdrom-device bs=2k count=208896 | md5sum

  9. Re: can't get iso's to work

    Hello,

    > If you have some kind of Unix, you can verify to contents of the CD
    > using
    > dd < your-cdrom-device bs=2k count=208896 | md5sum

    Did you mean:
    dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2k count=208896 | md5sum
    ? (Put in your cdrom device instead of /dev/cdrom.)

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  10. Re: can't get iso's to work

    Hello,

    > I just burned a fedora iso to reassure myself that the burner & nero
    > are still ok.

    Then your problem is, as you stated, deeper inside the system.
    Did you try to burn it somewhere else?

    > The reason I am trying to try MINIX3 is because a
    > friend gave me an old laptop (133MHx, 24MByte RAM) that is
    > 'inadequate' for Linux.

    Then you wouldn't be happy of Minix 3's X11 implementation. As Minix doesn't
    have virtual memory at some places, you need a lot of memory to simply run
    X.
    In my opinion, this machine is very adequate for Linux, if you use an older
    version. I ran SuSE 6.2 on such a machine (but doubled the memory after a
    year). If you can extend the memory, it is better to use, but 24 Mb are
    quite a lot.
    It depends what you want to do with it. I think most flexibility is to put
    Win95b+IE4+IE5 (with Active Desktop) on it and have peace. This is the
    configuration I used many years - and it still works at my aunt's.

    The problem is that most gimmicks Linux has (and Minix refused to implement)
    make it very greedy; even my 512 Mb are not enough for some new
    distribution. I dislike this way of doing it, but the distributors shall do
    as they want it.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my own Linux to work yet, so I'm stuck
    with Windows.

    > I downloaded the uncompressed MINIX2 on DOS
    > and put it on. It is wonderful, but I prepared a partition just for
    > MINIX, and want to put on the latest & greatest in it's pure form.

    Then you have again hit a memory requirement if you want to have something
    graphical (which is, what you are out after, I think...).

    > I am almost convinced nero just doesn't like me and/or the MINIX3.iso.
    > Thanks for the advice, but the problem goes deeper than finding the
    > right button in nero.

    Then I can't help (I never burned a Minix3-CD), sorry.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  11. Re: can't get iso's to work

    In article <45d70a24$0$6440$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>,
    Sebastian wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >> If you have some kind of Unix, you can verify to contents of the CD
    >> using
    >> dd < your-cdrom-device bs=2k count=208896 | md5sum

    >Did you mean:
    >dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2k count=208896 | md5sum
    >? (Put in your cdrom device instead of /dev/cdrom.)

    'if=' and '<' are the same for dd.

  12. Re: can't get iso's to work

    to Phillip: Thanks muchly for the advice!
    yes, r/w's are an excellent idea, I must go get some.
    Yes, both the zip and bz2 expand to the same size you describe. the
    iso's md5 matchs the one you gave me. (thanks for that, too) I'll try
    bochs on it or it onbochs, if you prefer. I don't have a linux
    availabe here, do at home approx 450 mi. north, though, so that
    approach must wait.

    to Sebastion: much thanks to you, also! And I hope you get your
    linux up soon.
    unfortunately my best alternative for burning is in another state, but
    when I get home I am going to give it a workout.
    re: x11... Actually, I am somewhat old school and was looking forward
    to getting back to an ascii interface. The laptop I am trying to
    install minix3 on is actually faster and better in every way than the
    machine I was using sco xenix on 15+ years ago. It has w98se so when
    I feel like returning to this century, I can (slowly).

    Again, I appreciate the advice and info,
    Lew

  13. Re: can't get iso's to work

    Hello,

    > 'if=' and '<' are the same for dd

    Even if parameters for dd follow after the '<' ?
    I didn't know that, but can't try out here.

    > to Sebastion: much thanks to you, also! And I hope you get your
    > linux up soon.

    Although it is getting OT a bit...
    I gave up trying to compile XF86 3.3.6 on a modern toolchain (and BusyBox on
    an old one)

    > The laptop I am trying to
    > install minix3 on is actually faster and better in every way than the
    > machine I was using sco xenix on 15+ years ago.

    I have such a machine and got my hands on Xenix-286 2.3.2 (which runs
    happily on the same system as minix-286), but I did find neither the tcp/ip
    package nor the development-package anymore, so this machine is unable to
    gzip and, unfortunately, off-line.

    > Again, I appreciate the advice and info,

    Sorry that I could not help.
    My last idea was to install Minix using an emulator and "dd" the resulting
    image onto the original hard disk. I believe Minix doesn't take care much
    about the hardware it runs on (chipset, gpu) and won't recognize the
    different system. If you can read the cd from inside Minix then, you could
    proceed with installing...

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  14. Re: can't get iso's to work

    On Feb 18, 10:38 am, "Sebastian" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > > 'if=' and '<' are the same for dd

    > Even if parameters for dd follow after the '<' ?
    > I didn't know that, but can't try out here.
    >
    > > to Sebastion: much thanks to you, also! And I hope you get your
    > > linux up soon.

    > Although it is getting OT a bit...
    > I gave up trying to compile XF86 3.3.6 on a modern toolchain (and BusyBox on
    > an old one)
    >
    > > The laptop I am trying to
    > > install minix3 on is actually faster and better in every way than the
    > > machine I was using sco xenix on 15+ years ago.

    > I have such a machine and got my hands on Xenix-286 2.3.2 (which runs
    > happily on the same system as minix-286), but I did find neither the tcp/ip
    > package nor the development-package anymore, so this machine is unable to
    > gzip and, unfortunately, off-line.
    >
    > > Again, I appreciate the advice and info,

    > Sorry that I could not help.
    > My last idea was to install Minix using an emulator and "dd" the resulting
    > image onto the original hard disk. I believe Minix doesn't take care much
    > about the hardware it runs on (chipset, gpu) and won't recognize the
    > different system. If you can read the cd from inside Minix then, you could
    > proceed with installing...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    I am currently trying your 'last idea'. So far I have not been able
    to mount the iso, but since the rest of the world seems to be able to,
    it surely is me doing something wrong. If it doesn't work soon, I am
    going to try to compile the '3' source on 'minix2 on dos', and see
    what I get.
    Man, I thought I was an antiquer, but you got me beat. I do respect a
    guy who is willing to take on something like xenix286 for fun. I was
    getting paid when I did it.

    Regards back,
    Lew

  15. Re: can't get iso's to work

    I downloaded the file IDE-3.1.2a.iso.bz2 checked it's MD%, and decompressed
    it. I used Nero to burn it to a CD with no problems. Of course, Windoze can
    only "see" the dos/win compatible part of the disc.

    I'm using Nero V6.6.1.4

    the capacity to be his spokesman,
    so that I know how to help the weary.

    wrote in message
    news:1171514053.347634.300160@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >I must be a complete idiot:
    > downloaded 3.1.2a.iso images (ide-zip & ide-bz2), md5's check ok, they
    > both appear to uncompress ok, I burn cd's of .iso images and they are
    > unreadable. I have tried nero and nero express. Is it me or is it
    > nero?

  16. Re: can't get iso's to work

    vlholmesjr@netzero.net д:
    > I must be a complete idiot:

    could you please tell me what download tools do you use? I use kget and
    wget.but I can't download it completely.I don't know why.

    --
    chunhui_true@163.com

+ Reply to Thread