Some installation notes on real hardware - Minix

This is a discussion on Some installation notes on real hardware - Minix ; Hi there, For a school project I'm looking into building a (very rough) USB implementation for minix 3. That means I got to have a minix system, which I've set up over the weekend on a spare barebone (VIA EPIA ...

  1. Some installation notes on real hardware

    Hi there,

    For a school project I'm looking into building a (very rough) USB
    implementation for minix 3. That means I got to have a minix system,
    which I've set up over the weekend on a spare barebone (VIA EPIA
    something something board) with most stuff now working (X, network,
    etc). I figured I'd give a few notes on this process, since some are
    really confusing and could scare away a lot of experimenting potential
    users. My biggest annoyances so far where;

    - The 3.1.2a image from the website appears to be broken (as wel as
    the X11 image you get through the network with packman). I had to
    install minix 3 from the (book) CD first, then reinstall 3.1.2a over
    it to get it working? Which is weird, since as far as I know 3.1.2a
    copies itself over the original installation. If I however install
    3.1.2a directly, most of the binaries (cd, ls, you name it) crash with
    (I forgot the exact words) something along the lines of corrupted
    binary, couldn't launch it, etc. Same with X11, it won't launch (xorg
    appears to be missing?) if you install it directly from the network.
    If you install the CD version first (I believe I grabbed it from the
    3.1.2a CD here) and then the network version, everything works fine.
    Note; I didn't install the X11 sourcefiles, did install the minix
    source files.

    - VT6102 wasn't supported. Had to physically cut a hole in my barebone
    case to fit in a realtek PCI card. After I'd done that, I had to
    *reinstall* to get the network up. Why isn't there any documentation
    about setting up the network (and getting it to run on boot) for minix
    after an installation without network support?

    - FAT32 isn't supported, so I can't mount my other partitions and
    'swap out' data that way. I can't really believe that minix was
    designed from the ground up on the new minix 3 filesystem. Well, maybe
    it was (virtual machines and whatnot) but it's still really weird.

    - There appear to be some serious issues with some RAID controllers. I
    had to swap from one EPIA board to an older one because minix detected
    and decided to support the RAID controller, and then continued
    panicing because the harddrive would timeout on command 0xCA, and then
    loose complete connection, screw up inodes, install files half, etc.
    Note that this wasn't the reason why 3.1.2a installed with corrupted
    binaries, that was on the other mainboard without RAID controller.

    - X is still annoying to configure. But I'm getting used to setting it
    up. It does crash my screen though after Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and
    restarts (luckily). Same after a shutdown command, the screen goes
    haywire and I have to 'guess' the time it takes for minix to really
    shut down before I push the power button. Nothing appears in the log
    files about this, so X probably thinks my screen is in order and back
    to the command line. It's a VIA VT8623 CLE266 chipset, using the VIA
    driver included.

    - The website has some seriously outdated information (If I understood
    everything correctly). With that I mean "Exchanging Data with Other
    Operating Systems". All tools mentioned are for Minix 2. Not helpful.

    Everything else (which isn't much ) seems to be working out of the
    box. All I need now is a newsgroup application and I'm set!

    Anybody else with similair experiences?

    Mike
    http://www.wacco.mveas.com

  2. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    Did you do md5sum on the minix iso?
    Was it OK?

  3. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    On Feb 12, 9:59 pm, "karel" wrote:
    > Did you do md5sum on the minix iso?
    > Was it OK?

    Didn't do that actually, it unzipped correctly and burned without
    problems, so I didn't suspect any problems. I don't have my originally
    downloaded file anymore so it's too late now to check it.

    About my network configuration reinstall issue, I just figured out how
    init boots up the appropiate drivers. I could've probably just edited
    my /etc/inet.conf file, and a reboot later I would've had network up
    and running.
    Still, I guess it would've been nice to read about this somewhere.
    Something along the lines of;
    "You can always change your network configuration after the
    installation, just add or edit the line "eth0 rtl8139 0 { default; };"
    to /etc/inet.conf, where rtl8139 can be replaced by the driver you
    need (look in /usr/sbin for the correct name)."

    Mike

  4. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    > For a school project I'm looking into building a (very rough) USB
    > implementation for minix 3. That means I got to have a minix system,
    > which I've set up over the weekend on a spare barebone (VIA EPIA
    > something something board) with most stuff now working (X, network,
    > etc). I figured I'd give a few notes on this process, since some are
    > really confusing and could scare away a lot of experimenting potential
    > users.

    Great initiative! I wish everyone would do this Both for the
    documenting effect and the Minix feedback.

    > My biggest annoyances so far where;
    >
    > - The 3.1.2a image from the website appears to be broken (as wel as
    > the X11 image you get through the network with packman). I had to
    > install minix 3 from the (book) CD first, then reinstall 3.1.2a over
    > it to get it working? Which is weird, since as far as I know 3.1.2a
    > copies itself over the original installation. If I however install
    > 3.1.2a directly, most of the binaries (cd, ls, you name it) crash with
    > (I forgot the exact words) something along the lines of corrupted
    > binary, couldn't launch it, etc. Same with X11, it won't launch (xorg
    > appears to be missing?) if you install it directly from the network.
    > If you install the CD version first (I believe I grabbed it from the
    > 3.1.2a CD here) and then the network version, everything works fine.
    > Note; I didn't install the X11 sourcefiles, did install the minix
    > source files.

    That's mighty odd. Yes, 3.1.2a installs itself over the top of any
    partition it's told to, so that isn't supposed to make any difference,
    and 3.1.2a is supposed to be able to install itself normally.. I don't
    know what went wrong here. Perhaps a CD I/O problem?

    > - VT6102 wasn't supported. Had to physically cut a hole in my barebone
    > case to fit in a realtek PCI card. After I'd done that, I had to
    > *reinstall* to get the network up. Why isn't there any documentation
    > about setting up the network (and getting it to run on boot) for minix
    > after an installation without network support?

    As this is a FAQ, I've now added it to the FAQ at
    .

    Kudos for cutting a hole in your PC to get networking working under
    Minix!

    > - FAT32 isn't supported, so I can't mount my other partitions and
    > 'swap out' data that way. I can't really believe that minix was
    > designed from the ground up on the new minix 3 filesystem. Well, maybe
    > it was (virtual machines and whatnot) but it's still really weird.

    There isn't a Minix with VFS released yet - a VFS implementation is
    actually in the 'current' version of Minix (in svn), although no-one has
    written a new filesystem for it. (But it's not recommended just yet
    if you don't want to have to change it, as the interface will probably
    still change.) This suggests that eventually, FAT32 implementations will
    arise.

    > - There appear to be some serious issues with some RAID controllers. I
    > had to swap from one EPIA board to an older one because minix detected
    > and decided to support the RAID controller, and then continued
    > panicing because the harddrive would timeout on command 0xCA, and then
    > loose complete connection, screw up inodes, install files half, etc.
    > Note that this wasn't the reason why 3.1.2a installed with corrupted
    > binaries, that was on the other mainboard without RAID controller.

    Did it say this:
    found supported RAID controller
    ?

    If so, you had a RAID controller that identified itself the same way as
    another RAID controller on which this actually worked, so that test
    should become stricter or be thrown out.

    > - X is still annoying to configure. But I'm getting used to setting it
    > up. It does crash my screen though after Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and
    > restarts (luckily). Same after a shutdown command, the screen goes
    > haywire and I have to 'guess' the time it takes for minix to really
    > shut down before I push the power button. Nothing appears in the log
    > files about this, so X probably thinks my screen is in order and back
    > to the command line. It's a VIA VT8623 CLE266 chipset, using the VIA
    > driver included.

    I've seen this too sometimes. I guess it's a quirk of the Minix X port.

    > - The website has some seriously outdated information (If I understood
    > everything correctly). With that I mean "Exchanging Data with Other
    > Operating Systems". All tools mentioned are for Minix 2. Not helpful.

    mtools is in the minix 3 base system.. don't they work for you?

    > Everything else (which isn't much ) seems to be working out of the
    > box. All I need now is a newsgroup application and I'm set!

    I happen to know there is an 'slrn' port directly available from
    packman.. I use it for reading and posting news, too (on minix).

    =Ben

  5. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    On Feb 12, 2:47 pm, mickeyme...@gmail.com wrote:

    > - FAT32 isn't supported, so I can't mount my other partitions and
    > 'swap out' data that way.

    FAT32 can't be mounted, but you can move data back and forth on it
    with the mtools command. I've had success with it.

  6. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    > That's mighty odd. Yes, 3.1.2a installs itself over the top of any
    > partition it's told to, so that isn't supposed to make any difference,
    > and 3.1.2a is supposed to be able to install itself normally.. I don't
    > know what went wrong here. Perhaps a CD I/O problem?

    Could be. But if that's the case, why didn't I see any error / warning
    anywhere? Silenced perhaps?

    > As this is a FAQ, I've now added it to the FAQ at
    > .

    Great (although I'm not seeing it listed yet)

    > Did it say this:
    > found supported RAID controller
    > ?

    Yes, that's why I'm guessing the disk errors are related to the RAID
    controller. The other motherboard never caused this line to appear and
    didn't have any (ok, the occasional one, but not during installation
    etc) errors.
    I placed the messages file temporarily online; http://
    www.wacco.mveas.com/messages
    Unfortunately I didn't make a PCI listing with that motherboard, but
    I'll try to hunt down soon (the other barebone is a collection of non-
    working components at the moment) what it's exact details are.

    > mtools is in the minix 3 base system.. don't they work for you?

    Ehh. No? Maybe I haven't looked hard enough

    > I happen to know there is an 'slrn' port directly available from
    > packman.. I use it for reading and posting news, too (on minix).
    >
    > =Ben

    Sounds good, let's see if I can get that working.

    Mike

  7. Re: Some installation notes on real hardware

    And now I completely forgot to mention something else. To make sure
    everything I create will work correctly (and not just on my machine) I
    installed Minix 3 today on a second machine with completely different
    hardware. I had some problems getting that network card working
    (again..) because it has an Intel Pro 82562 chipset. It didn't want to
    launch with the original FXP driver because apparently it's a 82557C
    revision;

    >From /usr/src/drivers/fxp/fxp.c:

    574 case FXP_REV_82557A: str= "82557A"; /*
    0x01 */
    575 fp->fxp_type= FT_82557;
    576 break;
    577 case FXP_REV_82557B: str= "82557B"; break; /*
    0x02 */
    578 case FXP_REV_82557C: str= "82557C"; break; /*
    0x03 */

    I changed line 578 to;
    case FXP_REV_82557C: str= "82557C"; fp->fxp_type= FT_82557;
    break; /* 0x03 */

    And now it works like a charm. DHCPD takes forever to get an IP
    address, but that could be a network related thing.
    I'm not sure if I should consider this an unstable hack, or lack of
    hardware to test on from the original author of this driver and a
    confirm from my side that it works just fine. I'll keep an eye on it
    though, haven't had the time to stress-test it.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread