Running Minix 3 (or 2) under the Qemu emulator on an Intel Mac - Minix

This is a discussion on Running Minix 3 (or 2) under the Qemu emulator on an Intel Mac - Minix ; Because all the recipes I found for running Minix 3 under Qemu didn't work for me, possibly because I'm using it on a macintosh, here's something that does work for me, including networking. If there are easier ways: please let ...

  1. Running Minix 3 (or 2) under the Qemu emulator on an Intel Mac

    Because all the recipes I found for running Minix 3 under Qemu didn't
    work for me, possibly because I'm using it on a macintosh, here's
    something that does work for me, including networking. If there are
    easier ways: please let me know.

    The problem seems to be with the Qemu PCI support, but workarounds
    like setting qemu_pci=1 in the boot monitor did not work for me. The
    solution is to use the Qemu ISA network interface.

    (For Minix 2 there is a slightly different recipe, see below).

    Oh yes, I finally got to Qemu because Parallels did not work
    (networking, again).

    Here is what I did for Minix 3:
    1. Download the Q (or Kju) GUI for Qemu from <http://www.kju-app.org/
    >.

    2. Run it, create a PC with NE2000 network card, start it, install
    Minix 3, select ne2000 networking, reboot.
    3. Note that the network card is not found. Stop Qemu.
    4. Edit (on the mac) ~/Documents/QEMU/pcname.qvm/configuration.plist
    5. Change the Arguments string, replace "-net nic" with "-net
    nic,model=ne2k_isa".
    6. Restart Qemu, start the PC, use ESC to get to the boot menu.
    7. Set "DPETH0=300:9:0", "save", "boot".
    8. In Minix, edit /etc/inet.conf and replace "dp8390" with "dpeth".
    9. Reboot. This should get you working networking.

    Here is what I did for Minix 2:
    1. Download the Q (or Kju) GUI for Qemu from <http://www.kju-app.org/
    >.

    2. Run it, create a PC with NE2000 network card, start it, install
    Minix 3, select ne2000 networking, reboot.
    3. Note that the network card is not found. Shutdown Minix, get to the
    boot prompt.
    4. Set "DPETH0=c100:10:0", "save", "boot".
    5. Networking should now work.

  2. Re: Running Minix 3 (or 2) under the Qemu emulator on an Intel Mac

    Hello,

    > Because all the recipes I found for running Minix 3 under Qemu didn't
    > work for me, possibly because I'm using it on a macintosh, here's
    > something that does work for me, including networking. If there are
    > easier ways: please let me know.

    I don't have a Mac, but the emulated hardware should be the same; I run Qemu
    0.8.2.

    > The problem seems to be with the Qemu PCI support, but workarounds
    > like setting qemu_pci=1 in the boot monitor did not work for me. The
    > solution is to use the Qemu ISA network interface.

    Another solution is to emulate an ISA-only machine. This is done via the
    switch "-M isapc". The NIC is then again to be found as an ne2000-compatible
    at 0x300, irq 9 and the /etc/inet.conf has to be changed as you stated.
    Nothing more is needed.

    This is my command line to start Qemu:
    C:\Programme\Qemu\qemu.exe -L c:\programme\qemu -hda minix3.img -cdrom
    minix3.iso -M isapc -boot c
    (with the current working directory set to the directory the iso and img
    file are in, therefore the -L clause and no other pathes.)

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread