Updating /boot/boot - Minix

This is a discussion on Updating /boot/boot - Minix ; [Minix 3.1.2a] What's the proper way to replace the secondary boot program? We're editing /usr/src/boot/boot.c. Then doing a "make boot". If we copy the new 'boot' to /boot/boot, it appears to work. There's a target in ../boot/Makefile, /usr/mdec/boot, that installs ...

  1. Updating /boot/boot

    [Minix 3.1.2a]

    What's the proper way to replace the secondary boot program?

    We're editing /usr/src/boot/boot.c. Then doing a "make boot".
    If we copy the new 'boot' to /boot/boot, it appears to work.

    There's a target in ../boot/Makefile, /usr/mdec/boot, that installs
    the new 'boot' in /usr/mdec/boot, but not in /boot.

    What's the "correct way" to install 'boot' where it is needed
    (which I believe is in /boot/boot)?

    Thanks,
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Updating /boot/boot

    All,

    > There's a target in ../boot/Makefile, /usr/mdec/boot, that installs
    > the new 'boot' in /usr/mdec/boot, but not in /boot.
    >
    > What's the "correct way" to install 'boot' where it is needed
    > (which I believe is in /boot/boot)?

    The -d option of installboot. See the setup script for an example.

    =Ben

  3. Re: Updating /boot/boot

    >> There's a target in ../boot/Makefile, /usr/mdec/boot, that installs
    >> the new 'boot' in /usr/mdec/boot, but not in /boot.
    >>
    >> What's the "correct way" to install 'boot' where it is needed
    >> (which I believe is in /boot/boot)?

    bg> The -d option of installboot. See the setup script for an example.

    The installboot(8) man page shows this for the "-d" option:

    -d(evice) device bootblock boot [[label:]image ...]

    Though I've tried to follow (the admittedly complex) description, I'm
    still not sure exactly how to use this ...

    Assuming Minix3 is in 'c0d0p2', would I do something like this?

    # cd /usr/src/boot
    # make boot

    # installboot -d /dev/c0d0p2 /usr/mdec/bootblock ./boot

    I appreciate your help, Ben!

    -Kenneth

  4. Re: Updating /boot/boot

    > Though I've tried to follow (the admittedly complex) description, I'm
    > still not sure exactly how to use this ...
    >
    > Assuming Minix3 is in 'c0d0p2', would I do something like this?
    >
    > # cd /usr/src/boot
    > # make boot
    >
    > # installboot -d /dev/c0d0p2 /usr/mdec/bootblock ./boot

    make and make install in /usr/src/boot will not overwrite /boot/boot,
    so you have to update it explicitly. To install the bootcode with
    the locations to 'boot' (which is the loaded by the bootcode at
    boot time), do

    # installboot -d /dev/c0d0p2s0 /usr/mdec/bootblock /boot/boot

    /boot/boot is (normally) a filename relative to the filesystem named
    after -d.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread