Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS? - Minix

This is a discussion on Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS? - Minix ; Dear all, I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make ...

  1. Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    Dear all,
    I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts
    about this topic but did not find any threads which clearly stated
    whether it is a 100% real time OS!
    I'd highly appreciate any thoughts if anyone knows about this answer.
    Best,
    Soulivanh

  2. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    On Feb 7, 6:31 am, sanot...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    > about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    > to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    > is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts
    > about this topic but did not find any threads which clearly stated
    > whether it is a 100% real time OS!
    > I'd highly appreciate any thoughts if anyone knows about this answer.

    No, Minix is not a "Real Time" OS.

  3. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    sanothay@gmail.com writes:

    > Dear all,
    > I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    > about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    > to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    > is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts

    AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.

    Regards -- Markus

    > about this topic but did not find any threads which clearly stated
    > whether it is a 100% real time OS!
    > I'd highly appreciate any thoughts if anyone knows about this answer.
    > Best,
    > Soulivanh

  4. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    On Feb 7, 9:11 pm, Markus E Leypold
    wrote:
    > sanot...@gmail.com writes:
    > > Dear all,
    > > I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    > > about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    > > to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    > > is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts

    > AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    > applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    > efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.
    >
    > Regards -- Markus

    Hi Markus,
    Thanks for your info. It'll be difficult to convince my boss to
    support my idea of porting MINIX to SH8 if it is still not the real
    time OS yet, such a pity. But anyway, I hope I still get more replies
    from others perhaps someones have other reasons that MINIX is a good
    candidate VS. to Win CE 6.0.
    Thanks,
    Soulivanh

  5. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    sanothay@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Feb 7, 9:11 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > wrote:
    >> sanot...@gmail.com writes:
    >> > Dear all,
    >> > I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    >> > about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    >> > to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    >> > is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts

    >> AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    >> applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    >> efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.
    >>
    >> Regards -- Markus

    > Hi Markus,
    > Thanks for your info. It'll be difficult to convince my boss to
    > support my idea of porting MINIX to SH8 if it is still not the real
    > time OS yet, such a pity. But anyway, I hope I still get more replies
    > from others perhaps someones have other reasons that MINIX is a good
    > candidate VS. to Win CE 6.0.
    > Thanks,
    > Soulivanh

    Is Win CE a real-time OS? Didn't know that.

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    On Feb 8, 8:31 am, Chris wrote:
    > sanot...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Feb 7, 9:11 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > > wrote:

    > >> AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    > >> applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    > >> efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.

    > >> Regards -- Markus

    > > Hi Markus,
    > > Thanks for your info. It'll be difficult to convince my boss to
    > > support my idea of porting MINIX to SH8 if it is still not the real
    > > time OS yet, such a pity. But anyway, I hope I still get more replies
    > > from others perhaps someones have other reasons that MINIX is a good
    > > candidate VS. to Win CE 6.0.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Soulivanh

    > Is Win CE a real-time OS? Didn't know that.
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    Yes, WinCE is a real time OS, it was what Microsoft said though! :-)

  7. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    sanothay@gmail.com writes:

    > On Feb 7, 9:11 pm, Markus E Leypold
    > wrote:
    >> sanot...@gmail.com writes:
    >> > Dear all,
    >> > I have found MINIX a very interesting OS, and planing to learn more
    >> > about it. I'm also planing to propose my boss a project "Porting MINIX
    >> > to SH8 Renesas CPU", but first of all I have to make it clear if MINIX
    >> > is a real time OS or not? I was browsing through some previous posts

    >> AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    >> applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    >> efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.
    >>
    >> Regards -- Markus

    > Thanks for your info. It'll be difficult to convince my boss to
    > support my idea of porting MINIX to SH8 if it is still not the real
    > time OS yet, such a pity.

    My impression, but I might be wrong, is that there is no plan to make
    Minix into a real time OS. An embedded OS, but not real time (which
    requires a bit more with regards to predictability and timing). That
    said I think it should not be too difficult (because of the simple
    architecture of the micro kernel) to embed a real time subsystem into
    minix. But I'm not expert in this, it is only my vague impression that
    one is near enough to the hardware that this is possible.

    > But anyway, I hope I still get more replies from others perhaps
    > someones have other reasons that MINIX is a good candidate VS. to
    > Win CE 6.0.

    I think that there should be more factors in your decision than just
    "I like Minix more": E.g. what is the experience of the developes in
    the project (are they at home more in a POSIX environement or the non
    standard Win32?), licensing costs for deploying the run time,
    maintenance + existence of a roadmap etc.

    If you want something more POSIXish for an embedded system -- there is
    a number of vendors for embedded Unices, embedded BSDs and at the end
    there is QNX.

    Regards -- Markus

  8. Re: Is MINIX 3 a 100% Real Time OS?

    Chris writes:

    > sanothay@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 7, 9:11 pm, Markus E Leypold
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> AFAIK: No. I think the team asserts that they target embedded
    >>> applications, they try to implement robustness and resource
    >>> efficiency, but AFAIK it is not suitable for hard real time, as it is.
    >>>
    >>> Regards -- Markus

    >> Hi Markus,
    >> Thanks for your info. It'll be difficult to convince my boss to
    >> support my idea of porting MINIX to SH8 if it is still not the real
    >> time OS yet, such a pity. But anyway, I hope I still get more replies
    >> from others perhaps someones have other reasons that MINIX is a good
    >> candidate VS. to Win CE 6.0.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Soulivanh

    > Is Win CE a real-time OS? Didn't know that.

    Well -- I was also sourprised to hear that, but obviously it is, at
    least at the driver lever: There are, I hear, guaranteed interrupt
    latencies and so on. Wether they are also small, I don't know :-).

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread