Virtual Minix3 Recovery - Minix

This is a discussion on Virtual Minix3 Recovery - Minix ; A question to those using 'VMplayer' and Minix3: how to recover from a "hosed" virtual machine? For example, consider these scenarios: o A newly installed "system image" hangs during the boot process o Changes to the "File Manager" hang the ...

  1. Virtual Minix3 Recovery

    A question to those using 'VMplayer' and Minix3: how to recover from
    a "hosed" virtual machine?

    For example, consider these scenarios:

    o A newly installed "system image" hangs during the boot process

    o Changes to the "File Manager" hang the system

    o A modification to the 'boot' program causes a "seg fault"

    With Minix3 installed on the hard drive, I can just boot off the
    CD-ROM, 'mount' what I need, and (hopefully) repair the damage.

    What approach do you take using virtualization?

    Thanks for your comments,
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Virtual Minix3 Recovery

    Hello,

    > A question to those using 'VMplayer' and Minix3: how to recover from
    > a "hosed" virtual machine?

    The same way as on a real system. Insert the CD-ROM (or an iso-file) into
    the virtual drive and boot from it. This doesn't work on VMware player
    without changing the configuration file, though.

    > For example, consider these scenarios:
    > o A newly installed "system image" hangs during the boot process
    > o Changes to the "File Manager" hang the system
    > o A modification to the 'boot' program causes a "seg fault"

    These are all three the same scenario - the kernel file (which is loaded by
    the boot monitor) is defective. But you should always keep a backup file you
    can boot this backup from inside the boot monitor (by changing the
    appropriate variable). This shouldn't require any changes in your system;
    you simply tell the boot monitor which image to load.

    > With Minix3 installed on the hard drive, I can just boot off the
    > CD-ROM, 'mount' what I need, and (hopefully) repair the damage.

    You can do that the same way you do on a real system. But booting the older,
    working, image is easier to do.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: Virtual Minix3 Recovery

    In article <873b5jl1jx.fsf@be.cs.appstate.edu>,
    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    >With Minix3 installed on the hard drive, I can just boot off the
    >CD-ROM, 'mount' what I need, and (hopefully) repair the damage.
    >
    >What approach do you take using virtualization?

    The same.