Networking - Minix

This is a discussion on Networking - Minix ; Hi, Just installed Minix 3 on an old Pentium 350 MHz computer. When I installed I did not select a NIC card. I have now installed a NIC card, RTL 8139 and wish to activate networking. I can't find any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Networking

  1. Networking

    Hi,
    Just installed Minix 3 on an old Pentium 350 MHz computer. When I
    installed I did not select a NIC card.

    I have now installed a NIC card, RTL 8139 and wish to activate
    networking. I can't find any documentation on how to do that.

    Is there any ? Am I missing something?

    Thanks,
    Peter


  2. Re: Networking

    On Feb 4, 1:27 pm, "hal1401" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Just installed Minix 3 on an old Pentium 350 MHz computer. When I
    > installed I did not select a NIC card.
    >
    > I have now installed a NIC card, RTL 8139 and wish to activate
    > networking. I can't find any documentation on how to do that.
    >
    > Is there any ? Am I missing something?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter



    Simplest would be
    Reinstall, it takes couple of minutes.


  3. Re: Networking

    On Feb 3, 9:27 pm, "hal1401" wrote:
    > ...
    > I have now installed a NIC card, RTL 8139 and wish to activate
    > networking. I can't find any documentation on how to do that.


    AFAIK documentation exists only as part of the setup script. You can
    list it and see how the initial choice of a network configuration is
    made, and then just do those parts of it by hand from the command
    line.

    I once suggested that a script for re-installation of network cards or
    post-install addition of a network card should be part of the Minix
    installation package, but I was overruled by others who felt that
    proliferation of special purpose scripts would be confusing to new
    users. However, while testing early versions of Minix 3 on different
    hardware I found myself doing this so many times that I butchered a
    copy of the setup script to make a setup.net script that allows me to
    easily reconfigure for a different ethernet card. It is a little long
    to include in a news post, but I will e-mail you a copy.

    - Al


  4. Re: Networking

    On Feb 3, 10:26 pm, "karel" wrote:
    > On Feb 4, 1:27 pm, "hal1401" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > Just installed Minix 3 on an old Pentium 350 MHz computer. When I
    > > installed I did not select a NIC card.

    >
    > > I have now installed a NIC card, RTL 8139 and wish to activate
    > > networking. I can't find any documentation on how to do that.

    >
    > > Is there any ? Am I missing something?

    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Peter

    >
    > Simplest would be
    > Reinstall, it takes couple of minutes.



    I did that as I had done some more monkeying and things stopped
    working and the re-install worked and I have access to the web.
    Thanks,
    Peter


  5. Re: Networking

    On 2007-02-04, karel wrote:
    > Simplest would be
    > Reinstall, it takes couple of minutes.


    I think this is a horrible solution. If the real solution is not
    obvious, I think Minix could use more comprehensive documentation.

    Ben

  6. Re: Networking

    Benjamin Kwiecien wrote:
    > On 2007-02-04, karel wrote:
    >> Simplest would be
    >> Reinstall, it takes couple of minutes.


    > I think this is a horrible solution. If the real solution is not
    > obvious, I think Minix could use more comprehensive documentation.


    Minix is still under heavy development. Writing comprehensive
    documentation for something that could be completely changed before the
    end of next week is a waste of time.

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

  7. Re: Networking

    On 2007-02-05, Smit de JF wrote:
    > Minix is still under heavy development. Writing comprehensive
    > documentation for something that could be completely changed before the
    > end of next week is a waste of time.


    OK, how about basic documentation to go along with the configuration
    scheme? Someone took the time to code it, so they might as well leave
    some kind of note.

    Also, since the system is under heavy development, it may not be too
    soon to establish some kind of guidelines for how stuff like that is
    supposed to work.

    Ben

  8. Re: Networking

    On Feb 5, 7:24 pm, Benjamin Kwiecien wrote:
    > On 2007-02-05, Smit de JF wrote:

    Having played around with Minix off and on over the years, it seems to
    me the largest obstacle right now is the lack of support for various
    NIC cards. Unless the PC I am using (usually a slightly our-of-date
    laptop) happens to have one of the very limited number of NICs
    supported by Minix I am out of luck and there is no support for
    wireless cards. Having to play the floppy shuffle when I try to load
    new applications is not very appealing.

    What is the state of adding more device drivers for NICs?

    Don Mansfield
    don@mangoland.org



    >
    > > Minix is still under heavy development. Writing comprehensive
    > > documentation for something that could be completely changed before the
    > > end of next week is a waste of time.

    >
    > OK, how about basic documentation to go along with the configuration
    > scheme? Someone took the time to code it, so they might as well leave
    > some kind of note.
    >
    > Also, since the system is under heavy development, it may not be too
    > soon to establish some kind of guidelines for how stuff like that is
    > supposed to work.
    >
    > Ben




  9. Re: Networking

    On Feb 5, 8:00 pm, "Mango Don" wrote:
    > Having to play the floppy shuffle when I try to load
    > new applications is not very appealing.


    A more universal solution to this problem should be USB drives. What
    is the state of USB device drivers for minix?


+ Reply to Thread