Compiling Minix for 8086 - Minix

This is a discussion on Compiling Minix for 8086 - Minix ; Hi All, I am looking at porting Minix to an embedded platform running an 80188 (8088 based). I have looked at the source code and tracked down a symbol called _EM_WSIZE which seems to control whether the kernel is compiled ...

  1. Compiling Minix for 8086

    Hi All,

    I am looking at porting Minix to an embedded platform running an 80188
    (8088 based). I have looked at the source code and tracked down a
    symbol called _EM_WSIZE which seems to control whether the kernel is
    compiled for 16-bit or not. However it is described as a
    compiler-generated symbol. How do I instruct the compiler the generate
    16-bit versions suitable for running on a 80188?

    Regards,

    Andrew

  2. Re: Compiling Minix for 8086

    Hello,

    > I am looking at porting Minix to an embedded platform running an 80188
    > (8088 based). I have looked at the source code and tracked down a
    > symbol called _EM_WSIZE which seems to control whether the kernel is
    > compiled for 16-bit or not. However it is described as a
    > compiler-generated symbol. How do I instruct the compiler the generate
    > 16-bit versions suitable for running on a 80188?

    I have not found a solution yet, but you can run the 16-bit version of Minix
    on an 386+ processor (in 16-bit protected mode) and compile your kernel
    there. This works not on Minix 3, though.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread