Max No. of files that can be opened - Minix

This is a discussion on Max No. of files that can be opened - Minix ; Hi, I was trying to port TeX to Minix. But I think I have hit a major roadblock. What I want to know is whether there is a limit on the number of files that can be opened by a ...

  1. Max No. of files that can be opened

    Hi,

    I was trying to port TeX to Minix. But I think I have hit a major
    roadblock. What I want to know is whether there is a limit on the
    number of files that can be opened by a process?

    Basically I was trying to bind several change files (using TIE , which
    comes with TeX). Number of files is 24. But the command fails after 17
    files It errors out saying that it cannot open the change file. Note
    that the file(s) itself dont have any problem. I have thoroughly
    checked that. It is just that (with any particular order) of around 17
    files, the command fails.

    Has anybody hit a similar problem? Are there any workarounds,

    Thanks & Rgds,
    Atul

    P.S: I have also chmem'ed everything (right from shell, gnu tools, tie
    everything)..So I guess it cant be a memory problem

  2. Re: Max No. of files that can be opened

    > I was trying to port TeX to Minix. But I think I have hit a major
    > roadblock. What I want to know is whether there is a limit on the
    > number of files that can be opened by a process?

    Per process it's OPEN_MAX, which is usually 30 (). In total
    it's NR_FILPS, defined in const.h of the FS, currently 512.

    =Ben

  3. Re: Max No. of files that can be opened

    > Per process it's OPEN_MAX, which is usually 30 (). In total
    > it's NR_FILPS, defined in const.h of the FS, currently 512.

    If I change the OPEN_MAX variable to say something around 60, and
    recompile the source code..Can it have any serious performance issues?
    Will it break something else?

  4. Re: Max No. of files that can be opened

    > If I change the OPEN_MAX variable to say something around 60, and
    > recompile the source code..Can it have any serious performance issues?
    > Will it break something else?

    Well, it won't run on other Minix installs..

    Other than that, if something breaks, that would be a bug.

    Dependencies on OPEN_MAX are in the library too, so recompile the
    libraries first, then the rest of the system, and commands, just in
    case something depends on OPEN_MAX more than it should.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread