Is there any user manual and development manual for Minix 3? - Minix

This is a discussion on Is there any user manual and development manual for Minix 3? - Minix ; Hi, After several days study, I've installed Minix 3 in my virtual machines and I've downloaded all codes to have a glance. I'm really interested in this true micro-kernel operating system and really want to use it/test it/contribute something on ...

  1. Is there any user manual and development manual for Minix 3?

    Hi,
    After several days study, I've installed Minix 3 in my virtual
    machines and I've downloaded all codes to have a glance. I'm really
    interested in this true micro-kernel operating system and really want
    to use it/test it/contribute something on it.
    But the things trouble me is that I couldn't find any manual,either
    user manual or development manual. Since I'm in China, what I can buy
    is the translated OSDI,2nd edition. Since Minix 3 is re-designed a
    lot, I'm afraid I couldn't use that book. And I've learned OS when I
    was in university, I just wanner use Minix 3 to understand those
    principles I learned more deeply and I may try to modify these codes
    or to expand it.
    Another thing to excite me is Minix's natural ability to be a
    distributed operating system. Current PC is powerful enough to try
    it, I guess.
    So can someone help me to find some useful manual on Minix3? I
    really appreciate any helps, thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Is there any user manual and development manual for Minix 3?

    As far as I'm aware, the best place to start for Minix documentation is here:

    http://www.minix3.org/doc/

    Good luck!

    Ben

    On 2007-01-29, yueyu wrote:
    > Hi,
    > After several days study, I've installed Minix 3 in my virtual
    > machines and I've downloaded all codes to have a glance. I'm really
    > interested in this true micro-kernel operating system and really want
    > to use it/test it/contribute something on it.
    > But the things trouble me is that I couldn't find any manual,either
    > user manual or development manual. Since I'm in China, what I can buy
    > is the translated OSDI,2nd edition. Since Minix 3 is re-designed a
    > lot, I'm afraid I couldn't use that book. And I've learned OS when I
    > was in university, I just wanner use Minix 3 to understand those
    > principles I learned more deeply and I may try to modify these codes
    > or to expand it.
    > Another thing to excite me is Minix's natural ability to be a
    > distributed operating system. Current PC is powerful enough to try
    > it, I guess.
    > So can someone help me to find some useful manual on Minix3? I
    > really appreciate any helps, thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread