Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions - Minix ; Hello, I got some questions about software on Minix 2.0.4 (16-bit protected mode): Is there a windowing system for Minix-286 ? I read that MGR was once ported to Minix-386 and that Microwindows (or Nano-X) should run under ELKS. Is ...

  1. Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Hello,

    I got some questions about software on Minix 2.0.4 (16-bit protected mode):

    Is there a windowing system for Minix-286 ? I read that MGR was once ported
    to Minix-386 and that Microwindows (or Nano-X) should run under ELKS. Is
    there already a port for Minix-286 ?

    Is it possible to compile and use gzip on 16-bit Minix? It is supported on
    Xenix-286 and configure works. I added -DMAXSEG_64K to the Makefile to get
    around the 64k-segment sizes. But compiling fails with:
    "gzip.c", line 191: overflow in array size
    Is there a workaround (except reducing array size, because I think it would
    break the algorithm) for this like some flags? The target xenix_286 adds
    "-LARGE" to the compiler flags - does Minix support this model, too?

    Is it possible to get gcc working on an Minix-286 ? I tried compiling
    gcc-1.40 but make failed because of missing files (which should, if I'm
    right, be created via compiling). What GNU software can be run on Minix-286
    ?

    I hope I'm not annoying you.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  2. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    "Sebastian" writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I got some questions about software on Minix 2.0.4 (16-bit protected mode):

    OK.

    > Is there a windowing system for Minix-286 ? I read that MGR was once ported
    > to Minix-386 and that Microwindows (or Nano-X) should run under ELKS. Is
    > there already a port for Minix-286 ?

    There has been a port of microwindows to Minix 2.x. I didn't find MGR
    when I was looking for it some years ago, so I assume it was never
    available for Minix 1/2 (but I might remember wrong).

    > Is it possible to compile and use gzip on 16-bit Minix? It is supported on
    > Xenix-286 and configure works.

    Then it should be possible in principle. If configure is not
    supported, you'll have to adapt the configuration.

    > I added -DMAXSEG_64K to the Makefile to get
    > around the 64k-segment sizes. But compiling fails with:
    > "gzip.c", line 191: overflow in array size

    > Is there a workaround (except reducing array size, because I think it would
    > break the algorithm) for this like some flags?

    Depends on what the array is good for. You'll have to look into the
    source to find that out.

    > The target xenix_286 adds
    > "-LARGE" to the compiler flags - does Minix support this model, too?

    No. I don't think so. I'm not sure (any more) what -LARGE really
    is. If it introduces seperate I&D, then Minix 2.x supports this AFAIR.

    > Is it possible to get gcc working on an Minix-286 ? I tried compiling

    There was a gcc-1.4x port once (or 1.3x?).

    > gcc-1.40 but make failed because of missing files (which should, if I'm
    > right, be created via compiling).

    That should work. Have you applied the Minix patches to gcc-1.40?

    > What GNU software can be run on Minix-286.

    Hardly any. GNU software usually assumes 32bit processors and adress
    space. But: A number of Gnu utilities had been ported to does (keyword
    was "micrognu" AFAIR), you might have success with that. Alternatively
    try to translate sources for V5-V7 Unix. This has a chance to work,
    since it's not so bloated and this software doesn't assume ints are >
    16bits. You can get ported and cleaned up versions of original V7
    software from the "heirloom toolchest" project.

    > ?
    >
    > I hope I'm not annoying you.

    No. :-). If you have any success, please release patches or complete source. :-).

    Regards -- Markus

  3. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Sebastian wrote:

    > Is there a windowing system for Minix-286 ? I read that MGR was once ported
    > to Minix-386 and that Microwindows (or Nano-X) should run under ELKS. Is
    > there already a port for Minix-286 ?

    I think there are porting for minix-vmd but nobody ever made an official
    release.

    > Is it possible to compile and use gzip on 16-bit Minix? It is supported on
    > Xenix-286 and configure works. I added -DMAXSEG_64K to the Makefile to get
    > around the 64k-segment sizes. But compiling fails with:
    > "gzip.c", line 191: overflow in array size
    > Is there a workaround (except reducing array size, because I think it would
    > break the algorithm) for this like some flags? The target xenix_286 adds
    > "-LARGE" to the compiler flags - does Minix support this model, too?

    No the ACK compiler does not have memory models. Its mode of working is
    equivalent to the SMALL model of the Xenix-286 (IIRC a Microsoft
    compiler) and to many DOS compilers. LARGE model places data in
    different segments and each segment can be up to 64k. SMALL model
    places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k.

    There is a porting of gzip at http://minix1.woodhull.com/pub/contrib/
    but it is for i386 only.

    > Is it possible to get gcc working on an Minix-286 ? I tried compiling
    > gcc-1.40 but make failed because of missing files (which should, if I'm
    > right, be created via compiling). What GNU software can be run on Minix-286
    > ?

    Never heard of a porting of gcc to a 286 environment.

    > I hope I'm not annoying you.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  4. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Giovanni writes:

    > Sebastian wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a windowing system for Minix-286 ? I read that MGR was once ported
    >> to Minix-386 and that Microwindows (or Nano-X) should run under ELKS. Is
    >> there already a port for Minix-286 ?

    > I think there are porting for minix-vmd but nobody ever made an
    > official release.
    >
    >> Is it possible to compile and use gzip on 16-bit Minix? It is supported on
    >> Xenix-286 and configure works. I added -DMAXSEG_64K to the Makefile to get
    >> around the 64k-segment sizes. But compiling fails with:
    >> "gzip.c", line 191: overflow in array size
    >> Is there a workaround (except reducing array size, because I think it would
    >> break the algorithm) for this like some flags? The target xenix_286 adds
    >> "-LARGE" to the compiler flags - does Minix support this model, too?

    > No the ACK compiler does not have memory models. Its mode of working
    > is equivalent to the SMALL model of the Xenix-286 (IIRC a Microsoft
    > compiler) and to many DOS compilers. LARGE model places data in
    > different segments and each segment can be up to 64k. SMALL model
    > places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k.

    My impression was that Minix 2.x supports seperate I&D (instruction &
    data -> code and data segment).

    > Never heard of a porting of gcc to a 286 environment.

    You're probably right. I seems that the gcc 1.40 port I've been
    writing about in a response to the OP has been for Minix-386 only.

    Regards -- Markus

  5. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Markus E Leypold wrote:

    >> different segments and each segment can be up to 64k. SMALL model
    >> places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k.

    > My impression was that Minix 2.x supports seperate I&D (instruction &
    > data -> code and data segment).

    And this is exactly how the small model works.
    My fault, I should have written:

    places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k and all
    executable code in one segment up to 64k.

    The old .com format of DOS executables was common I&D

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  6. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Giovanni writes:

    > Markus E Leypold wrote:
    >
    >>> different segments and each segment can be up to 64k. SMALL model
    >>> places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k.

    >> My impression was that Minix 2.x supports seperate I&D (instruction &
    >> data -> code and data segment).

    > And this is exactly how the small model works.
    > My fault, I should have written:
    >
    > places all data + stack + heap in one segment up to 64k and all
    > executable code in one segment up to 64k.

    Ah, OK. Now I'm starting to remember. (Un)fortunately it has been some
    time ago since I compiled for DOS the last time :-). LARGE was with
    those "far pointers" :-). And this is supported by XENIX, too?

    Regards -- Markus

  7. Re: Minix-286 (2.0.4) questions

    Hello,

    > Ah, OK. Now I'm starting to remember. (Un)fortunately it has been some
    > time ago since I compiled for DOS the last time :-). LARGE was with
    > those "far pointers" :-). And this is supported by XENIX, too?

    Yes, it is.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread