Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server - Minix ; Have not spent much time on trying to compile Xvesa but I am new to minix so thought I would ask for some hints/tips/help before going any further. I have just downloaded minix 3.1.2a I am running it in the ...

  1. Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server

    Have not spent much time on trying to compile Xvesa but I am new to
    minix so thought I would ask for some hints/tips/help before going any
    further.

    I have just downloaded minix 3.1.2a
    I am running it in the free vmware player version 1.0.3 build-34682
    setup with 128Mb memory under a WindowsXP home system with 256Mb.
    I have a version of Xvesa X11 server from the 1disklinux distro and
    have tried "make" which compiles most of the libs apart from the code
    in Xserver/hw/kdrive/ which seems to hang with one of the following
    errors:
    "fatal error: out of memory"
    cc: /usr/lib/em_cemcom.ansi: Signal 4 - core dumped (i think thats a
    segfault?)

    Also there are a number of include files that are not available such as
    sys/vm86.h, sys/mman.h, and a few others

    Anyone have any advice on compiling X11, e.g. how was the Xorg server
    compiled, as this also does not seem to compile out of the box? has
    anyone got a site.def example or any other info?.

    What is the best way to go about implementing the missing include files
    e.g. is sys/vm.h equivalent to vm86.h, is sys/ioc_memory.h equivalent
    to sys/mman.h.

    I am afraid I have not got the book and am not going to buy it, I don't
    like reading from screen, I am a hacker not an engineer, and want some
    quick and dirty fixes and advice.

    Hope someone can give some help as if this drags on past a few hours
    work I will loose interest and dump the task as I have other more
    interesting projects to do.

    Can post the source if anyone wants it to check.

    Best regards to all.

  2. Re: Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server

    On 23 Jan., 18:32, "mun" wrote:
    > Have not spent much time on trying to compile Xvesa but I am new to
    > minix so thought I would ask for some hints/tips/help before going any
    > further.

    Install Xorg-6.8.2 package with packman, maybe?!

    Any special reason for building from sources?

    Guido

  3. Re: Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server

    Have you compiled Xorg-6.8.2 from the packman sources yourself?
    I have installed the Xorg-6.8.2 package with packman and attempted to
    compile it using ACK, I have tried to modify memory settings using
    "chmem = n^2 /usr/bin/cc". I am mildly aware that ACK is an academic
    compiler and may not have particularly good optimization but it seems
    to have problems with memory. I have compiled Xvesa on systems with
    16Mb of core, the vmware settings give 128Mb.

    Yes I have a special reasons:

    1) I want a smaller X11 server.
    2) I want an optimized X11 server
    3) I want to have a modular build and only compile what I need.
    4) I want to test if the sources build on minix
    5) I am interested in minix and X11 and how they work and are built
    6) I want to implement a kernel space threaded X11 framebuffer backend
    for minix
    7) I am not sure what the point of minix is and thought testing by way
    of a small experiment might reveal some possible areas of strength and
    weakness.
    8) I am using vmware for the first time and am testing its usefulness.
    9) minix maybe a good low level test bed.
    10) My porn subscription has expired, and my credit card has been
    cancelled.

    I would like to thank you for your suggestion, it was very useful in
    helping me to analyse the special reasons for building X11 from
    sources.

    I decided to draw up some schema to further rough out the interactions
    of complex data set involved.

    Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated and I will be pleased
    to answer any further questions you may have that can help in solving
    my problems.

    Salutations to all.

    Mun

    On Jan 23, 10:39 pm, __guid...@web.de wrote:
    >Install Xorg-6.8.2 package with packman, maybe?!
    >
    > Any special reason for building from sources?
    >
    > Guido

  4. Re: Minix compiling X11 Xvesa server

    On Jan 24, 12:55 am, "mun" wrote:
    > Have you compiled Xorg-6.8.2 from the packman sources yourself?
    > I have installed the Xorg-6.8.2 package with packman and attempted to
    > compile it using ACK, I have tried to modify memory settings using
    > "chmem = n^2 /usr/bin/cc". I am mildly aware that ACK is an academic
    > compiler and may not have particularly good optimization but it seems
    > to have problems with memory. I have compiled Xvesa on systems with
    > 16Mb of core, the vmware settings give 128Mb.
    >
    > Yes I have a special reasons:
    >
    > 1) I want a smaller X11 server.
    > 2) I want an optimized X11 server
    > 3) I want to have a modular build and only compile what I need.
    > 4) I want to test if the sources build on minix
    > 5) I am interested in minix and X11 and how they work and are built
    > 6) I want to implement a kernel space threaded X11 framebuffer backend
    > for minix
    > 7) I am not sure what the point of minix is and thought testing by way
    > of a small experiment might reveal some possible areas of strength and
    > weakness.
    > 8) I am using vmware for the first time and am testing its usefulness.
    > 9) minix maybe a good low level test bed.
    > 10) My porn subscription has expired, and my credit card has been
    > cancelled.
    >
    > I would like to thank you for your suggestion, it was very useful in
    > helping me to analyse the special reasons for building X11 from
    > sources.
    >
    > I decided to draw up some schema to further rough out the interactions
    > of complex data set involved.
    >
    > Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated and I will be pleased
    > to answer any further questions you may have that can help in solving
    > my problems.
    >
    > Salutations to all.
    >
    > Mun
    >
    > On Jan 23, 10:39 pm, __guid...@web.de wrote:
    >
    > >Install Xorg-6.8.2 package with packman, maybe?!

    > > Any special reason for building from sources?

    > > Guido

    OK I have fixed it I now can compile the server only but still need at
    least 32Mb of memory to compile and the server size is still rather
    over size at 1.3Mb for a full install. Has anyone any advice on
    optimizing compilation for smaller executable size with ACK. When are
    shared libs going to be implemented?

    Regards

    Mun

+ Reply to Thread