Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles - Minix ; I'm teaching a class using the book and VMplayer, with a Minix VM image from the web page: http://www.minix3.org/download/minix..._256MB_1GB.zip We are collectively baffled by what happens with this image when we try to shut down. If we shutdown for reboot ...

  1. Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    I'm teaching a class using the book and VMplayer, with a Minix VM image
    from the web page:
    http://www.minix3.org/download/minix..._256MB_1GB.zip

    We are collectively baffled by what happens with this image when we try
    to shut down.
    If we shutdown for reboot "shutdown -r now", we get as far as TERM
    being sent to all
    processes and nothing else happens, ever. Doing anything more requires
    a reset.

    If we shutdown for a halt "shutdown -h now", we get as far as the
    monitor prompt, but
    the system seems frozen at that point: keyboard presses do not get
    echoed and nothing
    else happens, ever.

    This seems wrong, but we haven't fooled with the VM. This happens
    right from the
    start with a clean download.

    For the moment, we're stuck with the 3.1.1 version because 3.1.2 device
    drivers have
    changed, and diverged from the book a bit too much for my taste. I
    love to have them
    do device drivers as a project.

    Any clues out there?

    ++ kevin

  2. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    All,

    On 18 Jan 2007 15:09:48 -0800, kogorman3 wrote:
    > This seems wrong, but we haven't fooled with the VM. This happens
    > right from the start with a clean download.

    I think that hanging boot monitor is a bug that for some reason pops up
    more reliably in vmware than on real hardware (or at least, my real
    hardware).

    If it's fixed, we can produce an update of the book version, but for
    now a reasonable workaround is to reset the VM once you have the
    monitor prompt.

    =Ben

  3. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    All,

    As a followup on the boot monitor issue, a bug was actually fixed that
    caused a symptom like this. The reason I didn't mention it is that I
    think the latest release still sometimes hangs in the boot monitor
    (esp. on vmware), but I'm not totally sure. If you could try it out,
    that would be a very useful data point and it could be worthwhile to
    make a book version with that fix in it.

    =Ben

  4. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > As a followup on the boot monitor issue, a bug was actually fixed that
    > caused a symptom like this. The reason I didn't mention it is that I
    > think the latest release still sometimes hangs in the boot monitor
    > (esp. on vmware), but I'm not totally sure. If you could try it out,
    > that would be a very useful data point and it could be worthwhile to
    > make a book version with that fix in it.
    >
    > =Ben

    Where do I find the fix? I'll be happy to try it.

  5. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    All,

    > Where do I find the fix? I'll be happy to try it.

    It's in the latest release (3.1.2a), available as .iso image from
    .

    Good luck!

    =Ben

  6. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    I should have qualified that: I'm happy to test a backport of the patch
    to 3.1.1. For the moment, I and my classes
    are staying at that level.

    ++ kevin

    On Jan 20, 4:41 am, Ben Gras wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > > Where do I find the fix? I'll be happy to try it.It's in the latest release (3.1.2a), available as .iso image from

    > .
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > =Ben

  7. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    On 2007-01-23, kogorman3 wrote:
    > I should have qualified that: I'm happy to test a backport of the patch
    > to 3.1.1. For the moment, I and my classes
    > are staying at that level.
    >
    > ++ kevin
    >
    > On Jan 20, 4:41 am, Ben Gras wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> > Where do I find the fix? I'll be happy to try it.It's in the latest release (3.1.2a), available as .iso image from

    >> .
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> =Ben

  8. Re: Minix 3.1.1, the textbook and shutdown wobbles

    All,

    > I should have qualified that: I'm happy to test a backport of the patch
    > to 3.1.1. For the moment, I and my classes
    > are staying at that level.

    If you could test a stock 3.1.2a for the bug - booting the CD should be
    enough - that would suggest whether or not the bug is actually fixed by
    the fix I had in mind. If it isn't fixed in 3.1.2a, backporting the fix
    I have in mind to 3.1.1 certainly won't help for the bug you're
    experiencing.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread