Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop - Minix

This is a discussion on Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop - Minix ; Hello everyone. I am trying to install Minix 3.1.2a on my old laptop (Acer travelmate 508DX, 500 MHz celeron. 192 MB ram, 4,6 GB HDD, floppy and CD-ROM). I have removed my earlier FAT-32 partitions using FDISK. When I boot ...

  1. Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop

    Hello everyone.
    I am trying to install Minix 3.1.2a on my old laptop (Acer travelmate
    508DX, 500 MHz celeron. 192 MB ram, 4,6 GB HDD, floppy and CD-ROM).
    I have removed my earlier FAT-32 partitions using FDISK.
    When I boot form the CD everything goes well at first, the setup finds
    no partitions and creates one. The promblem is that after I confirm
    (step 4.3) the setup detects errors on the harddisk. The output is:

    fs: I/O error on device 3/8, block 2215
    Unrecoverable disk error on device 3/8, block 2215

    I addition to that message ,wich is also displayed for block 2202,
    there are other error messages:

    /bin/setup: atnormalize: Exec format error

    /bin/setup: devsize: Exec format error
    /dev/c0d0p0 is a 0-sized device

    I know that I have a few errors on the hard disk, windows scandisk has
    found them and there has never been any problems at all.
    After these messages the setup returns to step 4. A Minix partition has
    now been created but the same error messages apear again and I am
    returned to step 4 again. It seems that I'm stuck in an inifite loop.

    How do I solve this problem? Is there a bug in the setup program?
    Please help me, I want to try Minix.

    /Martin Persson

  2. Re: Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop

    All,

    > fs: I/O error on device 3/8, block 2215
    > Unrecoverable disk error on device 3/8, block 2215

    > After these messages the setup returns to step 4. A Minix partition has
    > now been created but the same error messages apear again and I am
    > returned to step 4 again. It seems that I'm stuck in an inifite loop.

    Actually, the error messages are most likely about the CD - "device 3/8"
    is c0d1p2, which (in this case) is /usr of your CD. Either Minix isn't
    reading the CD properly, or the CD is faulty.

    > How do I solve this problem? Is there a bug in the setup program?
    > Please help me, I want to try Minix.

    First I'd suggest to read the CD from another OS. If that gives you
    errors too, re-burn the CD (at a lower speed) and try again. If that
    doesn't give you any errors, the Minix driver probably isn't doing
    something quite right in this case, but re-burn the CD (at a lower
    speed) anyway and try again, as there's little else to try short of
    debugging the driver.

    Good luck!

    =Ben

  3. Re: Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop

    Hi, thank you for the reply.

    I have now burned a new CD-R at low speed (max 4x) and with some kind
    extra quality option on and verifycation active.

    Sadly this has not helped.

    The error messages still apears and the setup program still returns to
    step 4.
    I have found that if I let the setup program return to step 4 once, so
    that a Minix partition is created, and then in step 4.2 chose to delete
    the Minix partition, the setup contiues forward. The last step that
    goes well is step 7. After that I get the following message:

    Panic in AT-D0: DMA buffer too large
    SYSTEM, reply to 35554 failed: -109
    fs: dead driver 35554
    FS: remounting dev 3/8
    AT-D1: multiword DMA modes supported: 0 1 2
    AT-D1: Ultra DMA modes supported: 0 1 2 3 4
    AT-D1: Ultra DMA mode selected: 2
    FS: mounted dev 3/8 re-open failed: -6
    installboot: /usr/mdec/masterboot: No such file or directory

    and then the setup program quits and I am returned to the promt.

    What can I do now?

    //Martin Persson.

  4. Re: Unable to install Minix, disk error puts setup in a loop

    In article <1169236326.137772.204250@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    Martin wrote:
    >Panic in AT-D0: DMA buffer too large
    >
    >What can I do now?

    This panic is in the DMA code. Try setting 'ata_no_dma=1' in the boot monitor
    to disable DMA.