new to the group ... looking for Minix on ARM based pda info - Minix

This is a discussion on new to the group ... looking for Minix on ARM based pda info - Minix ; TWIMC, Having been vaguely aware of the Minix OS from its inception, and in searching for a useable OS for Palm/WINCE type platforms, it strikes me that the Minix 3.x approach is particularly well suited to pda type devices, owing ...

  1. new to the group ... looking for Minix on ARM based pda info

    TWIMC,

    Having been vaguely aware of the Minix OS from its inception, and in
    searching for a useable OS for Palm/WINCE type platforms, it strikes me
    that the Minix 3.x approach is particularly well suited to pda type
    devices, owing to the small micro kernel, and user land drivers which can
    be incrementally developed.

    Owing to the number of devices, and rapid model introduction (and
    orphaning of models), the Linux porting efforts on handhelds.org, while
    commendable, seem to be re-inventing the wheel with each PDA variant, have
    hopelessly complex tool chains and build environments and things like
    wireless support, touch screen sound etc are spotty on many (my) models.
    The few devices that are fully supported tend not to be sold commercially
    any more 8-(, and are less useful (eg: no 802.11/BT) IMHO. As well, BSD
    support seems a bit of a black hole.

    Having said this, has anyone actually begun an actual port of Minix (I've
    read the Web site which contains the analysis of what is required for
    cross development) to an ARM based Ipaq or Palm device, and if so, is
    there a project site or wiki or such to indicate status, work in progress
    and how one might participate??

    Hopefully,
    Rob.

  2. Re: new to the group ... looking for Minix on ARM based pda info

    > Having said this, has anyone actually begun an actual port of Minix (I've
    > read the Web site which contains the analysis of what is required for
    > cross development) to an ARM based Ipaq or Palm device, and if so, is
    > there a project site or wiki or such to indicate status, work in progress
    > and how one might participate??

    I've updated the http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html page to
    reflect someone working on an ARM port. You'd have to contact him
    directly for any coordination on participation, however.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread