Minix 1.x - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix 1.x - Minix ; Can anyone tell me if Minix version 1.x comes under the BSD license or not. Can I distribute a modified Minix 1.x without distributing its source? Can I use source code from Minix 1.x without giving credits etc. Thanks, Waqar....

  1. Minix 1.x

    Can anyone tell me if Minix version 1.x comes under the BSD license or
    not. Can I distribute a modified Minix 1.x without distributing its
    source? Can I use source code from Minix 1.x without giving credits
    etc.

    Thanks,
    Waqar.

  2. Re: Minix 1.x

    waqar wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if Minix version 1.x comes under the BSD license or
    > not. Can I distribute a modified Minix 1.x without distributing its
    > source? Can I use source code from Minix 1.x without giving credits

    Short answer: older versions appear to be governed by the current
    license.
    You can redistribute binaries or source, but any redistribution must
    contain a copy of the license and its associated disclaimer. In effect,
    then,
    you have to give credit.

    More: The Minix license is based on the BSD license, but is not an
    exact
    copy. In 2000, when the current form of the license was created, I was
    told I could post this statement on my web pages: "The Minix license
    changed in April 2000, and applies retroactively to all previous Minix
    distributions, even though they still carry the old, more restrictive
    license
    within."

    I cannot find this statement on the minix3.org site, but I suspect it
    is
    embedded somewhere. In any case, although I am not a lawyer, I
    believe that once a copyrighted work has been released from a
    restriction the restriction cannot be reimposed. Is there a lawyer
    reading the newsgroup who can confirm this?

    The current Minix 3 license is posted at
    http://www.minix3.org/license.html

    It is almost identical to the April 2000 version, which can be seen at
    http://minix1.woodhull.com/LICENSE.html
    -- the only difference is that Prentice Hall has transferred all rights
    the Vrije Universiteit.

  3. Re: Minix 1.x

    Al Woodhull wrote:

    > waqar wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me if Minix version 1.x comes under the BSD license or
    >> not. Can I distribute a modified Minix 1.x without distributing its
    >> source? Can I use source code from Minix 1.x without giving credits

    > Short answer: older versions appear to be governed by the current
    > license.
    > You can redistribute binaries or source, but any redistribution must
    > contain a copy of the license and its associated disclaimer. In effect,
    > then,
    > you have to give credit.
    >
    > More: The Minix license is based on the BSD license, but is not an
    > exact
    > copy. In 2000, when the current form of the license was created, I was
    > told I could post this statement on my web pages: "The Minix license
    > changed in April 2000, and applies retroactively to all previous Minix
    > distributions, even though they still carry the old, more restrictive
    > license
    > within."
    >
    > I cannot find this statement on the minix3.org site, but I suspect it
    > is
    > embedded somewhere. In any case, although I am not a lawyer, I
    > believe that once a copyrighted work has been released from a
    > restriction the restriction cannot be reimposed. Is there a lawyer
    > reading the newsgroup who can confirm this?

    FWIW, I've forwarded a copy of this posting to PJ at groklaw. She might be
    able to help.

    > The current Minix 3 license is posted at
    > http://www.minix3.org/license.html
    >
    > It is almost identical to the April 2000 version, which can be seen at
    > http://minix1.woodhull.com/LICENSE.html
    > -- the only difference is that Prentice Hall has transferred all rights
    > the Vrije Universiteit.

+ Reply to Thread