Install Minix to extended partition? - Minix

This is a discussion on Install Minix to extended partition? - Minix ; Here's my hard drive setup: P1: BOOT 83 - includes GRUB, where I hope to be booting Minix from soon. P2: SWAP 82 P3: Slackware Linux 83 - 10Gigs, and can't live without it! P4: extended 5 - covers rest ...

  1. Install Minix to extended partition?

    Here's my hard drive setup:
    P1: BOOT 83 - includes GRUB, where I hope to be booting Minix from
    soon.
    P2: SWAP 82
    P3: Slackware Linux 83 - 10Gigs, and can't live without it!
    P4: extended 5 - covers rest of hard drive (about 65 Gigs)
    |- P5: "minix/old Linux" 81 - this is where I want Minix to go. About 1
    Gig.

    (That's a dump of fdisk)

    So, I tried the setup for Minix 3.1.2, and it seemed to not know what
    an extended partition was! That is, it couldn't find 5, just offered to
    go in 4.

    So, two questions: Any way to get it to do this? It runs fine off the
    live CD, no issues.
    And: I have three other computers and a few spare hard drives laying
    around. I could plug in a hard drive on another box, install Minix on
    its free space, then hook up the IDE cable to the main box and simply
    dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda5. Then hook it up from Grub. Would this
    work?

    For what it's worth, I run a website exploring all of FOSS (including
    Linux, BSD, Open Solaris, GNU HURD, etc.) and would very much like to
    run Minix in full with an X setup and give Minix a full review and go
    on tinkering with it and blogging the experience.

    But so far, I'm a NEWB at Minix (run it on live CD just three times so
    far). Any suggestions as to how to get this correctly done, or am I
    thinking about it the wrong way (because of some Linux-centered way of
    thinking that's preventing me from seeing the obvious solution)?

  2. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:39:31 -0800, levitatingrock wrote:

    > Here's my hard drive setup:
    > P1: BOOT 83 - includes GRUB, where I hope to be booting Minix from
    > soon.
    > P2: SWAP 82
    > P3: Slackware Linux 83 - 10Gigs, and can't live without it!
    > P4: extended 5 - covers rest of hard drive (about 65 Gigs)
    > |- P5: "minix/old Linux" 81 - this is where I want Minix to go. About 1
    > Gig.
    >
    > (That's a dump of fdisk)
    >
    > So, I tried the setup for Minix 3.1.2, and it seemed to not know what
    > an extended partition was! That is, it couldn't find 5, just offered to
    > go in 4.

    I'm sure I read somewhere on the Minix3 website that it requires a primary
    partition. The closest I could find was this from the setup manual in the
    documentation page:

    1. Preparation

    item 4, paragraph 2, last two sentences:

    Also make sure there is at least one primary partition (i.e., Master Boot
    Record slot) free. The MINIX 3 setup script will guide you through
    creating a MINIX partition in the free space, which can be on either the
    first or second IDE disk.

    I thought I had read something more explicit, but could not find it with a
    quick search. Doubtless someone else can point you ... or correct me.

    HTH,
    tony

  3. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    In article <1168630771.657027.8540@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >So, I tried the setup for Minix 3.1.2, and it seemed to not know what
    >an extended partition was! That is, it couldn't find 5, just offered to
    >go in 4.

    The install procedure does not support extended partitions.

    The harddisk driver does support extended partitions, so in theory
    to should be possible to install Minix in a set of extended partitions.

    >And: I have three other computers and a few spare hard drives laying
    >around. I could plug in a hard drive on another box, install Minix on
    >its free space, then hook up the IDE cable to the main box and simply
    >dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda5. Then hook it up from Grub. Would this
    >work?

    No. Why not just install Minix on the second disk?

    >But so far, I'm a NEWB at Minix (run it on live CD just three times so
    >far). Any suggestions as to how to get this correctly done, or am I
    >thinking about it the wrong way (because of some Linux-centered way of
    >thinking that's preventing me from seeing the obvious solution)?

    Move Linux to an extended partition to free up a primary partition. An OS
    should not need 3 primary partitions :-)

  4. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    > No. Why not just install Minix on the second disk?

    Uh, well, see, I eventually intend trying to make all of the hard drive
    into many partitions. I've installed ReactOS, BSD, and plan9 before on
    other systems, but I'm actually looking at getting a full house of
    systems on one hard drive.

    You can't be serious? There is no way to run Minix on an extended
    partition, no matter what? There has to be something... Minix seems
    much more pliable than that. It is, after all, a Unix system.

    > Move Linux to an extended partition to free up a primary partition. An OS
    > should not need 3 primary partitions :-)

    Partition one is for grub, one bootloader to rule them all. Partition
    two is swap, and I plan for multiple systems to share the same swap
    partition over time, (I know this will work with at least BSD and GNU
    HURD). Come to that, I'll be looking to access my /home files from as
    many systems as possible. So the three partitions are for purposes
    beyond Linux.

    Still, putting the main home base to the extended side might be an
    option, but not if it's going to disturb the plans for the rest of the
    drive... I'm just fishing for ideas from the "Lazyweb" here, but if I
    find a solution I'll blog it or post it or something...

  5. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    In article <1168714221.887118.177630@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >> No. Why not just install Minix on the second disk?

    >Uh, well, see, I eventually intend trying to make all of the hard drive
    >into many partitions. I've installed ReactOS, BSD, and plan9 before on
    >other systems, but I'm actually looking at getting a full house of
    >systems on one hard drive.
    >
    >You can't be serious? There is no way to run Minix on an extended
    >partition, no matter what? There has to be something... Minix seems
    >much more pliable than that. It is, after all, a Unix system.

    Well, Minix doesn't care. It is the install procedure that doesn't support
    it.

    >> Move Linux to an extended partition to free up a primary partition. An OS
    >> should not need 3 primary partitions :-)

    >Partition one is for grub, one bootloader to rule them all.

    Minix does not support grub (or, grub does not support Minix).

    So you need to tell the Minix bootstrap about extended partitions as well.

    My guess is that any operating system that is not fully supported by grub
    needs at least one primary partition.

  6. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    levitatingrock@gmail.com writes:

    > Partition one is for grub, one bootloader to rule them all. Partition
    > two is swap, and I plan for multiple systems to share the same swap
    > partition over time, (I know this will work with at least BSD and GNU
    > HURD). Come to that, I'll be looking to access my /home files from as
    > many systems as possible. So the three partitions are for purposes
    > beyond Linux.

    One partition for grub?
    --
    Hilsen Harald

  7. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    > One partition for grub?

    Well, yeah, a small 10MB one. Does it make more sense if I explain the
    whole drive's 80 Gigs? And that I intended to multi-boot from the
    get-go when I moved into this one? If not, quietly assume that I am
    stark raving mad. But anyway, either I'll find the incantation and
    proper brand of black candle to make this work... or, er, I'll put it
    off and focus on setting up the other ten systems on my list. By the
    way, Slackware is married to lilo, but I made that work with grub. I'm
    not afraid to edit a source file or two if I have to.

    Why do I need ten free Unixes installed on my hard drive? Why do people
    climb Mount Everest?

  8. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    You can have max 4 (four) primary partitions at disk.

    i have

    /dev/sda1 - Linux ext3 /
    /dev/sda2 - Linux Swap
    /dev/sda3 - Linux ext3 /home
    /dev/sda4 - FreeBSD slice -- you can here install minix

  9. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    levitatingrock@gmail.com wrote:

    > Partition one is for grub, one bootloader to rule them all.

    I probably misunderstand, but Grub doesn't need a partition; it's on
    the MBR.

    I got Windows XP on partition 1, Debian Linux on partition 2, minix on
    partition 3, and swap plus an FAT region (for data transfer between
    OSes) on an extended partition 4. Grub is on none of them; it's in the
    MBR and boots XP and minix each by chainloading.

  10. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    thissteve@yahoo.com wrote:
    [...]
    > I got Windows XP on partition 1, Debian Linux on partition 2, minix on
    > partition 3, and swap plus an FAT region (for data transfer between
    > OSes) on an extended partition 4. Grub is on none of them; it's in the
    > MBR and boots XP and minix each by chainloading.

    That's not precisely true --- yes, Grub does install code into the MBR, but
    that code then loads the rest of Grub from a filesystem somewhere. So youdo
    need to have a supported filesystem to put the rest of Grub in.

    On your system, it's probably partition 2, because you'll have installed Grub
    with Linux, right?

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ────
    │ "Is Eris true?" "Everthing is true." "Even false things?" "Evenfalse

  11. Re: Install Minix to extended partition?

    David Given wrote:
    > That's not precisely true --- yes, Grub does install code into the MBR, but
    > that code then loads the rest of Grub from a filesystem somewhere. So you do
    > need to have a supported filesystem to put the rest of Grub in.
    >
    > On your system, it's probably partition 2, because you'll have installed Grub
    > with Linux, right?

    You're right, of course. But the original poster can free up a
    partition right away by realizing that grub doesn't need one dedicated
    to it.

    (And a couple people seem to think that booting minix from grub is
    hard. Have they tried chainloading?)

+ Reply to Thread