Porting Drivers from Linux... help?? - Minix

This is a discussion on Porting Drivers from Linux... help?? - Minix ; I am trying to port a CAN (Controller Area Network) driver from linux to Minix3 and am stumbling through it at this stage.. Is there a set of steps that is best followed or just bash away until it works? ...

  1. Porting Drivers from Linux... help??

    I am trying to port a CAN (Controller Area Network) driver from linux
    to Minix3 and am stumbling through it at this stage.. Is there a set of
    steps that is best followed or just bash away until it works?

    Any pointers will be helpful..

    Thanks

    Dave

  2. Re: Porting Drivers from Linux... help??

    All,

    > I am trying to port a CAN (Controller Area Network) driver from linux
    > to Minix3 and am stumbling through it at this stage.. Is there a set of
    > steps that is best followed or just bash away until it works?

    There are two issues - one is the interface to Minix is different.
    (For storage devices you have to interface to the filesystem, and for
    network interfaces you have to interface to inet.)

    The other is the interface to the hardware is less direct. You have to
    make kernel calls instead of issuing those instructions directly.

    So I don't think there is any set of steps in existence that will help
    when 'porting' drivers. I think the only help the linux code will give
    you is that it indicates how the hardware works. But if you can be more
    specific, maybe I (or someone else here) can give you more specific
    pointers.

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread