Making Librarys in Minix3 - Minix

This is a discussion on Making Librarys in Minix3 - Minix ; Hi all, For a school project i'm trying to do some programming in Minix. Standard C programs all work well, so i try to make it more dificult and build a library that contains some basic functionality. For this i've ...

  1. Making Librarys in Minix3

    Hi all,

    For a school project i'm trying to do some programming in Minix.
    Standard C programs all work well, so i try to make it more dificult
    and build a library that contains some basic functionality. For this
    i've used an Howto i found on the internet.
    http://www.dwheeler.com/program-libr...OWTO/x287.html

    This is an howto on writing libraries for linux. So i knew i would
    encounter some problems. But as i couldn't find good alternatives i
    thought i might give it a try.

    The problem i encounter at this moment are related to the archiver ar.
    In the file script_static the library is archived using the following
    line:

    ar rcs libhello-static.a libhello-static.o

    Running this in MINIX3 gives an error. The 's' parameter is not
    supported. Leaving it out also give me the following error:
    ../libhello-static.a: file not recognized : File format not recognized

    What can i do to fix / work around this problem?

    I also would like to know if there is a howto avalible on this subject?
    If so, i haven't found it (yet).

    Thanks in advance!

    Kind Regards,
    Bram Jezeer

  2. Re: Making Librarys in Minix3

    All,

    > Running this in MINIX3 gives an error. The 's' parameter is not
    > supported. Leaving it out also give me the following error:
    > ./libhello-static.a: file not recognized : File format not recognized
    >
    > What can i do to fix / work around this problem?
    >
    > I also would like to know if there is a howto avalible on this subject?
    > If so, i haven't found it (yet).

    Chances are you are mixing ack and gcc. gcc was ported, but the object
    code and archive format are incompatible with ack.

    To make ack libraries (archives), use ar. To make gcc libraries, use
    gar.

    =Ben

  3. Re: Making Librarys in Minix3

    Ben Gras schreef:

    > All,
    >
    > > Running this in MINIX3 gives an error. The 's' parameter is not
    > > supported. Leaving it out also give me the following error:
    > > ./libhello-static.a: file not recognized : File format not recognized
    > >
    > > What can i do to fix / work around this problem?
    > >
    > > I also would like to know if there is a howto avalible on this subject?
    > > If so, i haven't found it (yet).

    > Chances are you are mixing ack and gcc. gcc was ported, but the object
    > code and archive format are incompatible with ack.
    >
    > To make ack libraries (archives), use ar. To make gcc libraries, use
    > gar.
    >
    > =Ben

    Thanks for your awnser.
    I'm trying to make a library using the archiver ar, as mentuoned above,
    this however fails.
    What about gar, i couldn't find any information about it on the minix
    website or the internet at all. Is gar correct?

    Bram

  4. Re: Making Librarys in Minix3

    > Thanks for your awnser.
    > I'm trying to make a library using the archiver ar, as mentuoned above,
    > this however fails.
    > What about gar, i couldn't find any information about it on the minix
    > website or the internet at all. Is gar correct?

    Are you using ack or gcc to compile your source files? It is important
    that you use the corresponding archiver for your object files. If you are
    compiling using ack you should make your libraries using ar, if you are
    compiling your source files using gcc you should use gar to make your
    libraries. gcc and ack use a different file format for their object files
    (as well as their binaries) so mixing the two is not an option.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit

  5. Re: Making Librarys in Minix3

    Smit de JF schreef:

    > > Thanks for your awnser.
    > > I'm trying to make a library using the archiver ar, as mentuoned above,
    > > this however fails.
    > > What about gar, i couldn't find any information about it on the minix
    > > website or the internet at all. Is gar correct?

    > Are you using ack or gcc to compile your source files? It is important
    > that you use the corresponding archiver for your object files. If you are
    > compiling using ack you should make your libraries using ar, if you are
    > compiling your source files using gcc you should use gar to make your
    > libraries. gcc and ack use a different file format for their object files
    > (as well as their binaries) so mixing the two is not an option.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

    Thanks for your answer,

    I'm using gcc to compile my source code. I' would like to use gar but
    am unable to find it. How can i use it? Do i have to install it after a
    clean installation?

    Regards,
    Bram

  6. Re: Making Librarys in Minix3

    I've got everything working now, gar is located in /usr/gnu/bin/gar
    Using this path i was able to follow up the howto. Thanks for helping
    me out!

    Bram

+ Reply to Thread