Cannot open RAM image device - Minix

This is a discussion on Cannot open RAM image device - Minix ; I wanted to try minix 3.1.2a on an old laptop. This laptop is a Pentium 130 with 49 MB of RAM. In the past, it has run RedHat 5.1 and OpenBSD 3.4. It currently runs Damn Small Linux version 3.0.1. ...

  1. Cannot open RAM image device

    I wanted to try minix 3.1.2a on an old laptop. This laptop is a
    Pentium 130 with 49 MB of RAM. In the past, it has run RedHat 5.1 and
    OpenBSD 3.4. It currently runs Damn Small Linux version 3.0.1.

    It will not boot from a CD ROM, so I must install with a boot floppy.
    (All three of the above mentioned OSs were installed that way.)

    I get the following error messages:

    Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    Please ignore any error messages.

    unrecognized magic number
    AT-D2: controller not ready
    AT-D2: controller not ready
    AT-D2: reset failed, drive busy
    AT-D3: controller not ready
    AT-D3: controller not ready
    AT-D3: reset failed, drive busy
    FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image device

    I see from the newsgroup archives, that I'm not the first person to
    have this problem. But, I didn't see a good answer. Is there one?

    Duane

  2. Re: Cannot open RAM image device

    Duane A. Damiano wrote:
    > I wanted to try minix 3.1.2a on an old laptop. This laptop is a
    > Pentium 130 with 49 MB of RAM.

    > AT-D2: controller not ready
    > FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image device

    Maybe try to set "bios_wini = yes" in the boot monitor to use the bios
    call disk driver ?

    S.

  3. Re: Cannot open RAM image device

    Stefan Szczygielski wrote:
    > Duane A. Damiano wrote:
    >
    >>I wanted to try minix 3.1.2a on an old laptop. This laptop is a
    >>Pentium 130 with 49 MB of RAM.

    >>AT-D2: controller not ready
    >>FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image device

    > Maybe try to set "bios_wini = yes" in the boot monitor to use the bios
    > call disk driver ?
    >
    > S.

    Thanks for your response.

    I tried typing "bios_wini = yes", followed by "save" at the fd0
    prompt. Is this what you meant? If so, it didn't help. I still got
    the same error when I typed "boot" from the fd0 prompt.

    Duane