execution of makefile give error - Minix

This is a discussion on execution of makefile give error - Minix ; when i run makefile of /usr/src/boot it give error : - exec format error i installed minix-3.1.2a on p4 machine....

  1. execution of makefile give error

    when i run makefile of /usr/src/boot it give error : -
    exec format error
    i installed minix-3.1.2a on p4 machine.

  2. Re: execution of makefile give error

    chaman wrote:
    > when i run makefile of /usr/src/boot it give error : -

    which line or which command on exection(inside make) gives this error.
    can u put the exact error message with the previous command output

    > exec format error

    this happens when the executable header is corrupt

    > i installed minix-3.1.2a on p4 machine.

    regards
    kanishk

  3. Re: execution of makefile give error

    when i run makefile first time error mess give :
    permission denied
    i give the permission by
    chmod +x Makefile
    then run by
    ../Makefile
    give above error mess. but when i simply write a c file & run by either
    cc or gcc it gives no error. Minix install without any problem.

  4. Re: execution of makefile give error

    chaman wrote:
    > when i run makefile first time error mess give :
    > permission denied
    > i give the permission by
    > chmod +x Makefile
    > then run by
    > ./Makefile
    > give above error mess. but when i simply write a c file & run by either
    > cc or gcc it gives no error. Minix install without any problem.

    The 'Makefile' file is not the program to run. The file contains a list
    of actions the are interpreted and executed by the program 'make'.

    The make program searches the current directory for a file called the
    makefile (or Makefile) that contains the rules to produce the expected
    program. Once a suitable file exists simply use the command:
    $ make
    from the shell prompt.

    For further details use:
    $ man make

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  5. Re: execution of makefile give error

    In article ,
    Giovanni wrote:
    >chaman wrote:
    >> when i run makefile first time error mess give :
    >> permission denied
    >> i give the permission by
    >> chmod +x Makefile
    >> then run by
    >> ./Makefile
    >> give above error mess. but when i simply write a c file & run by either
    >> cc or gcc it gives no error. Minix install without any problem.
    >>

    >The 'Makefile' file is not the program to run. The file contains a list
    >of actions the are interpreted and executed by the program 'make'.

    But the idea isn't so strange, because we normally like to run shell or
    perl scripts even though they need a program to interpret them. And if
    you put

    #!/usr/bin/make -f

    on top of a Makefile, then you can run it too.
    --
    Kees J. Bot, Systems Programmer, Sciences dept., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

  6. Re: execution of makefile give error

    thanks for sending solution

+ Reply to Thread