X11R6 - Minix

This is a discussion on X11R6 - Minix ; Hello, I am new on MINIX. I am trying to start X Windows (X11R6) on my PC using the "xdm" command. It fails. I have 80 MB memory. Is it enough? Let me know how I have to proceed or ...

  1. X11R6

    Hello,

    I am new on MINIX.
    I am trying to start X Windows (X11R6) on my PC using the "xdm"
    command. It fails.
    I have 80 MB memory. Is it enough?

    Let me know how I have to proceed or some Web site where I can fing
    usefull information to start X Windows on Minix.

    May thx in advance.

    NB

  2. Re: X11R6

    I am having problems with running X11 under MINIX3 as well, and I'm
    also having a hard time getting support, if you end up figuring it out,
    would you please shoot me an email? Thank you.

  3. Re: X11R6

    On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 06:08:40 -0800, Zachary Miscikoski wrote:

    > I am having problems with running X11 under MINIX3 as well, and I'm
    > also having a hard time getting support, if you end up figuring it out,
    > would you please shoot me an email? Thank you.

    Guys & Gals -

    First, go through ALL of the tags on the following website, not just the
    X11 stuff:

    http://www.minixtips.com/2006/07/run...-on-minix.html
    dfdf

  4. Re: X11R6

    > http://www.minixtips.com/2006/07/run...-on-minix.html

    I found this link in several discussions.
    You are probably right. I should find the solution there but this web
    site is unreachable... probably down.
    Do you have other links?
    Thanks a lot.

    NB

  5. Re: X11R6

    nboucquey@skynet.be writes:

    >> http://www.minixtips.com/2006/07/run...-on-minix.html

    > I found this link in several discussions.
    > You are probably right. I should find the solution there but this web
    > site is unreachable... probably down.
    > Do you have other links?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > NB

    The "I can't run X, xdm dies silently"-problem has been discussed
    extensively on comp.os.minix in the past months. I'm only reading here
    and not always everything, so I can't say wether the discussion
    covered all different variants of the problems or not. I'd also like
    to note that this is generally difficult to find out, since the
    majority of those crying for help never came back to tell wether it
    worked for them or not ...

    So try for the problem searching in some newsgroup archive (like
    i.e. Google Groups). Come back with a _detailed_ description of your
    symtopms if that doesn't help.

    Regards -- Markus

  6. Re: X11R6

    Hello,

    I spent a lot of time to review all the discussions about xdm, X11R6,
    X, ...
    I don't find real solution to the problem. The most frequent solution
    is to extend the memory with chmem. I can't believe that doesn't work
    on a 64Mb box where Windows 98 worked fine.

    I continue to investigate.

    The following was usefull but didn't solve the problem:
    the command "X -configure" help to build a configuration file:
    xorg.conf.new
    Then you can start X with the command "X -config xorg.conf.new"
    If that work let me know what you did.
    You can check the log file "XLogFile.0.log" in /var/log. This one give
    some help.
    To understand the content you can check documentation:
    http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/

    Please help me to investigate this topic and redirect all the
    discussion about this topic to this one.

    Thanks a lot.

    NB

  7. Re: X11R6

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:58:45 -0800, nboucquey wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I spent a lot of time to review all the discussions about xdm, X11R6,
    > X, ...
    > I don't find real solution to the problem. The most frequent solution
    > is to extend the memory with chmem. I can't believe that doesn't work
    > on a 64Mb box where Windows 98 worked fine.
    >
    > I continue to investigate.
    >
    > The following was usefull but didn't solve the problem:
    > the command "X -configure" help to build a configuration file:
    > xorg.conf.new
    > Then you can start X with the command "X -config xorg.conf.new"
    > If that work let me know what you did.
    > You can check the log file "XLogFile.0.log" in /var/log. This one give
    > some help.
    > To understand the content you can check documentation:
    > http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/
    >
    > Please help me to investigate this topic and redirect all the
    > discussion about this topic to this one.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > NB

    The default installation of Minix 3 changes memory on /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
    to approximately 512MB, yes MB! If your system memory is only 64MB, then
    you'll have to change the value to less than that, i.e. 64MB. I'm not sure
    if X will run without demand paging on 64MB, but you can always try. Minix
    Tips suggests changing the value on Xorg to approximately 75MB (chmem =
    80000000) as he runs Minix 3 in emulation, QEmu, I believe. With 256MB of
    memory dedicated to the emulator, changing memory requirements of Xorg
    to 75MB poses no problem at all. If you read the stuff about
    X11, you'll know that already.

    Good luck as their a wealth of information of MInix Tips!

+ Reply to Thread