sshd: PRNG not seeded - Minix

This is a discussion on sshd: PRNG not seeded - Minix ; I've installed Minix 3.1.2a several times in the same VMware server in the past couple days. Every time, openssh has installed fine from "packman" and allowed me to run "sshd" to generate the initial host keys. However, now when I ...

  1. sshd: PRNG not seeded

    I've installed Minix 3.1.2a several times in the same VMware server in
    the past couple days. Every time, openssh has installed fine from
    "packman" and allowed me to run "sshd" to generate the initial host
    keys. However, now when I reinstall Minix and openssh, "sshd"
    continuously says "sshd: PRNG not seeded". What gives?

    Nothing with VMware has recently changed. The reason I keep
    reinstalling Minix is because sometimes when I do "make world",
    everything works fine. Other times, "bc" will fail to build because
    "flex" generates a supposedly bad lex.yy.c file that has a mysterious
    error with something not being defined that actually is defined.

    It's like Minix 3.1.2a is a box of chocolates, and you never know what
    you're gonna get.

    Basically, is there something I'm doing that is causing these problems?
    I don't have any bare hardware on which I can put Minix.

    Thanks a ton in advance.

  2. Re: sshd: PRNG not seeded

    I seem to be answering a lot of my own questions lately, hehehe. I
    found out that the reason I was having a problem was because
    /dev/random and /dev/urandom hadn't been seeded. Some other people
    have apparently had this problem on VMware; so, I just had to manually
    seed them myself by doing something like "echo 'a bunch of random crap
    here' > /dev/random" and then doing the same to "/dev/urandom".

    Hopefully I won't have any more problems due to VMware, but we shall
    see. Either way, I've worked past the problem and can finally get back
    to coding on it.

    Thanks again, even though I answered the question myself. Maybe this
    post will help someone else.

+ Reply to Thread