Minix from a floppy - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix from a floppy - Minix ; Greetings, fellow Minix-ers. I've got an old (but fully functional) IBM ThinkPad 755C lying on my desk. This thing is currently useless, and I'd love to turn it into a Minix box in order to give it some purpose in ...

  1. Minix from a floppy

    Greetings, fellow Minix-ers.

    I've got an old (but fully functional) IBM ThinkPad 755C lying on my
    desk. This thing is currently useless, and I'd love to turn it into a
    Minix box in order to give it some purpose in life. It meets all the
    minimum requirements for installation, except for the CD-ROM drive. I
    was wondering, therefore, if there's any easy way to install Minix onto
    a computer by means of floppy. If necessary, I could just install Minix
    in Qemu and then clone the hard drive over the network, but I think I'd
    rather saw my own arm off.

    Suggestions welcome.

  2. Re: Minix from a floppy

    > I've got an old (but fully functional) IBM ThinkPad 755C lying on my
    > desk. This thing is currently useless, and I'd love to turn it into a
    > Minix box in order to give it some purpose in life. It meets all the
    > minimum requirements for installation, except for the CD-ROM drive. I
    > was wondering, therefore, if there's any easy way to install Minix onto
    > a computer by means of floppy. If necessary, I could just install Minix
    > in Qemu and then clone the hard drive over the network, but I think I'd
    > rather saw my own arm off.

    That would be a way, although quite time-comsuming. I think it would work.
    Minix 2.x is able to install from floppy disks completely (i.e. the whole
    package).

    Minix 3.x is also available as a USB stick image, which you can direct copy
    onto an USB stick, boot from it (or maybe from a floppy?) and install from
    there. That should be possible, too. But, of course, you still need USB on
    that notebook.

    Another idea would be to get a cd-rom drive, but they might not be supported
    by Minix.

    And overkill: You can try a 44-to-40-pin IDE adaptor and install a
    out-of-the-box cd-rom drive together with the hard disk on that system and
    install from there. This would at least need such an adaptor and to leave
    the case open until the installation has finished - and a lot of fiddling
    around to find the mistakes. :-)

    It's easier to install the hard disk to another computer (notebook or tower
    using an adaptor), install Minix on it and then replace it.

    The easiest way is - if USB is available - the USB stick version, or using
    Qemu. Boot up a network-enabled Linux disk and directly write the image file
    onto the hard disk:
    cat /where/net/is/mounted/image.img | dd of=/dev/hda bs=16k

    This will, of course, destroy any data on your hard disk.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread