Tracking current - Minix

This is a discussion on Tracking current - Minix ; I am trying to build Minix from current sources. I used subversion to check the latest stuff out. make world I noticed I had to add flex with packman: No problem, make world again. This time the build failed with ...

  1. Tracking current

    I am trying to build Minix from current sources.
    I used subversion to check the latest stuff out.
    make world
    I noticed I had to add flex with packman: No problem, make world again.
    This time the build failed with an error trying to cd boot, not found.
    Looking around, the entire filesystem was empty, at least from ls's
    perspective, although I am still able to type commands.

    The reboot didn't change anything.

    I started with a pristine 3.1.2a image, added subversion and flex, and
    did the make. Is there a way to bootstrap current that I can use?

    -Rich

  2. Re: Tracking current

    In article ,
    Richard Pennington wrote:
    >I am trying to build Minix from current sources.
    >I used subversion to check the latest stuff out.

    In general, read /usr/src/docs/UPDATING before trying to install a new
    source tree.

    >This time the build failed with an error trying to cd boot, not found.
    >Looking around, the entire filesystem was empty, at least from ls's
    >perspective, although I am still able to type commands.

    That's because there is now a getdents system call (which your old
    kernel doesn't have, but the new ls tries to use).

    >I started with a pristine 3.1.2a image, added subversion and flex, and
    >did the make. Is there a way to bootstrap current that I can use?

    I updated the docs/UPDATING file in subversion to give a detailed list
    of steps to compile and install the current sources.

  3. Re: Tracking current

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Richard Pennington wrote:
    >> I am trying to build Minix from current sources.
    >> I used subversion to check the latest stuff out.

    > In general, read /usr/src/docs/UPDATING before trying to install a new
    > source tree.
    >
    >> This time the build failed with an error trying to cd boot, not found.
    >> Looking around, the entire filesystem was empty, at least from ls's
    >> perspective, although I am still able to type commands.

    > That's because there is now a getdents system call (which your old
    > kernel doesn't have, but the new ls tries to use).
    >
    >> I started with a pristine 3.1.2a imagetge, added subversion and flex, and
    >> did the make. Is there a way to bootstrap current that I can use?

    > I updated the docs/UPDATING file in subversion to give a detailed list
    > of steps to compile and install the current sources.

    Hi Philip,

    Thanks for your help. I now have an (almost) working system under VMware.

    I get the message "DMA denied because address out of range" from the
    lance driver on startup. Upon investigation, I find the address is
    0x17198E0 which is bigger than the 24 bit DMA limit.

    Any hints?

    -Rich

+ Reply to Thread