Minix for real use? - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix for real use? - Minix ; I have just seen a Minix ad at sourceforge.net and I was kind of surprised: isn't Minix for research/education only? The ad featured the line "Smaller than Linux", suggesting that Minix is somehow an alternative to Linux. So far I ...

  1. Minix for real use?

    I have just seen a Minix ad at sourceforge.net and I was kind of
    surprised: isn't Minix for research/education only?
    The ad featured the line "Smaller than Linux", suggesting that Minix is
    somehow an alternative to Linux. So far I have been under the
    impression that Minix is not meant to be a primary OS i.e. something
    you actually want to run in a production environment.

  2. Re: Minix for real use?

    > I have just seen a Minix ad at sourceforge.net and I was kind of
    > surprised: isn't Minix for research/education only?
    > The ad featured the line "Smaller than Linux", suggesting that Minix is
    > somehow an alternative to Linux. So far I have been under the
    > impression that Minix is not meant to be a primary OS i.e. something
    > you actually want to run in a production environment.

    http://www.minix3.org/
    Minix 3's official site give some targeted areas and features.

+ Reply to Thread