X window for minix3 on vmware - Minix

This is a discussion on X window for minix3 on vmware - Minix ; Hi all.I use minix 3.1.2a in vmware GSX 3.2.0. I install X11R6.8.2 use packman.But when type xdm,it return to #.When I type startx,there are many errors. I think there is no vm tools for minix,so I dont know how to ...

  1. X window for minix3 on vmware

    Hi all.I use minix 3.1.2a in vmware GSX 3.2.0.
    I install X11R6.8.2 use packman.But when type xdm,it return to #.When I
    type startx,there are many errors.
    I think there is no vm tools for minix,so I dont know how to use
    xorgconfig to config my minix.
    I am new to X window and minix.
    Can you give me some idea?

  2. Re: X window for minix3 on vmware

    superhorse2002@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all.I use minix 3.1.2a in vmware GSX 3.2.0.
    > I install X11R6.8.2 use packman.But when type xdm,it return to #.When I
    > type startx,there are many errors.
    > I think there is no vm tools for minix,so I dont know how to use
    > xorgconfig to config my minix.
    > I am new to X window and minix.
    > Can you give me some idea?

    hi!
    i'm new to minix too and i remember vaguely i had the same problem
    i think rather than installing x, you have to install ALL the
    packages...there seem to be exist some dependencies so installing ONLY
    X i think is not enough

    but if you really wanna use minix to learn about os development, you
    dont actually need x for a start as it may make you forget what youre
    actually in for, that is, learn how an os is written
    you'll probably need the book as well, if you dont have it, buy it
    then:

    for (i=0; i < numberChapters; i++)
    {
    while (!readAndUnderstand(chapters[i]));
    doExercises(chapters[i];
    }

    that's my approach
    it seems to work so far

    best

    martin

    there is a text editor called mined which is just fine for getting
    started

  3. Re: X window for minix3 on vmware

    Hi,sancho1980,
    first,I have installed 46 packages,so it is not the problem of loss
    some componenets.
    Beause there is no vmware tools for minix,so I can't config X Window
    manually.
    Second,I want to use minix to learn unix like OS,because it is open
    source,I want to know how to use shell,how to config X window and CDE
    by myself.
    But I think there are also some problem in minix on vmware.

+ Reply to Thread