OS development email list ? - Minix

This is a discussion on OS development email list ? - Minix ; is there an OS development email list ? if not would anyone object to one (or another one) being created ? would anyone subscribe ? (no, not trying to replace usenet, just supplement it)...

  1. OS development email list ?

    is there an OS development email list ? if not would anyone object to
    one (or another one) being created ? would anyone subscribe ? (no, not
    trying to replace usenet, just supplement it)

  2. Re: OS development email list ?

    (Prot3anThr3ad) wrote:
    > is there an OS development email list ?

    no, afaik.

    > would anyone subscribe ? (no, not trying to replace usenet, just
    > supplement it)

    i wouldn't. should i? why?

    viva usenet!

    simon

    --

    http://valhalla.iru.ch/

  3. Re: OS development email list ?

    Simon,
    I can give you a two good reasons:

    1. Usenet is NOT the complete answer (definately don't tell 'em to
    Google'It)
    2. Sometimes email is more convenient (and sometimes the only way)

    Besides, if you're worried about SPAM I see as much if not more SPAM on
    usenet than I do in email.

    So go for it PT; An email list actually might be useful.

    Simon Felix wrote:
    > (Prot3anThr3ad) wrote:
    > > is there an OS development email list ?

    > no, afaik.
    >

    > > would anyone subscribe ? (no, not trying to replace usenet, just
    > > supplement it)

    > i wouldn't. should i? why?
    >

    > viva usenet!
    >

    > simon
    >
    > --
    >
    > http://valhalla.iru.ch/

  4. Re: OS development email list ?

    On 2006-12-23, Nate Breen wrote:

    > So go for it PT; An email list actually might be useful.

    I would disagree. Mails just clutter up the mailbox. Archive interfaces
    are not nearly as convenient as usenet. And one has to be subscribed to
    the list to be able to post (= 1 more password to take care of).

    Proliferation of mailing lists in the open-source community really annoys me
    because of these three reasons. It annoys me enough that I rarely subscribe,
    post, or browse archives of any mailing list related to any open-source
    project. If they were on usenet, I probably wouldn't be just a "bystander".
    I'd be at least a passive observer. Now, as it is, my main interface to
    mailing lists (and only as a last resort, when all reasonable sources of
    information are exhausted) is Google search.

    IMHO, Usenet is a far better medium than lists.

  5. Re: OS development email list ?

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:41:05 +0000, Zeljko Vrba wrote:

    > IMHO, Usenet is a far better medium than lists.

    ditto.

+ Reply to Thread