problems chapter 2 - Minix

This is a discussion on problems chapter 2 - Minix ; hi first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days??? no on actually answered to my last to posts...not that anyone would *have* to answer, i'm just curious... i finally did get problem 44 at ...

  1. problems chapter 2

    hi

    first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days???
    no on actually answered to my last to posts...not that anyone would
    *have* to answer, i'm just curious...
    i finally did get problem 44 at end of chapter 2 done with the help of
    tomás (thanx)

    now i was starting to have a look at the remaining hacks and it seems
    to me like problem no 50 is more or less the same, or what is meant by
    "statistics"??

    does anyone have a clue?

    it would also be interesting to know what the authors have to say about
    this...

    thanx,

    martin

  2. Re: problems chapter 2

    sancho1980 wrote:
    > hi

    > first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days???
    > no on actually answered to my last to posts...not that anyone would
    > *have* to answer, i'm just curious...
    > i finally did get problem 44 at end of chapter 2 done with the help of
    > tom?s (thanx)

    I don't have the book (only the second edition) so I can't really help you
    with questions related to "the book".

    --
    Jens de Smit

  3. Re: problems chapter 2

    "sancho1980" writes:

    > hi
    >
    > first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days???

    Must be upcoming chrismas. :-). I noticed the same lack of messages in
    other usenet groups.

    > i finally did get problem 44 at end of chapter 2 done with the help of

    > now i was starting to have a look at the remaining hacks and it seems
    > to me like problem no 50 is more or less the same, or what is meant by
    > "statistics"??

    BTW: To which version of OSDI do you refer?

    Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: problems chapter 2

    Markus E Leypold schrieb:

    > "sancho1980" writes:
    >
    > > hi
    > >
    > > first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days???

    > Must be upcoming chrismas. :-). I noticed the same lack of messages in
    > other usenet groups.
    >
    > > i finally did get problem 44 at end of chapter 2 done with the help of

    > > now i was starting to have a look at the remaining hacks and it seems
    > > to me like problem no 50 is more or less the same, or what is meant by
    > > "statistics"??

    > BTW: To which version of OSDI do you refer?

    3rd edition. Problem 44 says: extend the kernel in a way that it keeps
    track of which processes have sent how many messages to which other
    processes, then print out this matrix when the user hits f4 (i used f12
    so i didnt override any pre-built function
    and the last problem says something about providing statistical
    information about messages in the system...what does this mean? shall i
    printf out the mean message number all processes receive and send? of
    course, you could make a ranking showing which processes are the most
    copious letter-writer but i'm not sure this is what is meant here

    merry christmas (ach, i hate it...) and thanx,

    martin

    > Regards -- Markus

  5. Re: problems chapter 2

    "sancho1980" writes:

    > Markus E Leypold schrieb:
    >
    >> "sancho1980" writes:
    >>
    >> > hi
    >> >
    >> > first of all: why have there been so few posts these last few days???

    >> Must be upcoming chrismas. :-). I noticed the same lack of messages in
    >> other usenet groups.

    <...>

    >> BTW: To which version of OSDI do you refer?

    > 3rd edition. Problem 44 says: extend the kernel in a way that it keeps
    > track of which processes have sent how many messages to which other
    > processes, then print out this matrix when the user hits f4 (i used f12
    > so i didnt override any pre-built function
    > and the last problem says something about providing statistical

    Perhaps the exact wording could provide clue what they mean? Difficult
    to say, since I don't own OSDI/3 (yet) -- I'll wait until I really
    need it or the first used copies hit the market.

    > information about messages in the system...what does this mean? shall i
    > printf out the mean message number all processes receive and send? of

    Not having hte exact wording of problem 44 I can only guess, but
    something like the average message frequency, perhaps lenght, somehow
    averaged over the last minutes, the total number of messages send,
    when the last message where send, would perhaps be useful for
    debugging. I'm only guessing, of course. Concentrate on something like
    the message frequency received/sent from/to a particular process
    averaged over the last N minutes: That should be the typical problem,
    all other statistical information would be recorded / printed in a
    very similar way.

    > course, you could make a ranking showing which processes are the most
    > copious letter-writer but i'm not sure this is what is meant here

    > merry christmas (ach, i hate it...) and thanx,

    I feel with you :-).

    Regards -- Markus

  6. Re: problems chapter 2

    > Not having hte exact wording of problem 44 I can only guess, but
    > something like the average message frequency, perhaps lenght, somehow

    s/hte/the/; s/lenght/length/

    > averaged over the last minutes, the total number of messages send,
    > when the last message where send, would perhaps be useful for

    s/send/sent/; s/where/were/ ...

    Terrible. This was written in the last stages of coffein + sugar
    withdrawal. Please excuse the errors ... :-).

    I also should run my spellchecker now and then.

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread