xdm - Minix

This is a discussion on xdm - Minix ; I downloaded the latest Minix and installed it. I got to the point where it says to run xdm to go into graphics mode. However, when I typed xdm, nothing happened. It just went back to the # prompt. Any ...

  1. xdm

    I downloaded the latest Minix and installed it. I got to the point
    where it says to run xdm to go into graphics mode. However, when I
    typed xdm, nothing happened. It just went back to the # prompt. Any
    ideas what could be wrong?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: xdm

    "bob@coolgroups.com д
    "
    > I downloaded the latest Minix and installed it. I got to the point
    > where it says to run xdm to go into graphics mode. However, when I
    > typed xdm, nothing happened. It just went back to the # prompt. Any
    > ideas what could be wrong?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You need to install X and whatever xdm need before you type "xdm".

  3. Re: xdm

    bob@coolgroups.com schrieb:

    > I downloaded the latest Minix and installed it. I got to the point
    > where it says to run xdm to go into graphics mode.

    Have you read that it also says "run packman" before typing xdm?

    However, when I
    > typed xdm, nothing happened. It just went back to the # prompt. Any
    > ideas what could be wrong?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: xdm

    I get the same problem as bob@coolgroups.com,I use packman command to
    install X11R6.8.2,then I enter xdm,nothing happened.
    Later I think maybe there are not enough memory,so I set the memory to
    384MB to vmware machine.
    But the result is same.But when I enter startx,minix enter to x
    window,but I can't use it.I can't see the login screen.
    So, I can't use X window correct.
    I want to restall it to do better.

  5. Re: xdm

    superhorse2002@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I get the same problem as bob@coolgroups.com,I use packman command to
    > install X11R6.8.2,then I enter xdm,nothing happened.
    > Later I think maybe there are not enough memory,so I set the memory to
    > 384MB to vmware machine.
    > But the result is same.But when I enter startx,minix enter to x
    > window,but I can't use it.I can't see the login screen.
    > So, I can't use X window correct.
    > I want to restall it to do better.

    To clarify, yes, I did run packman and installed all of the packages
    (and source) prior to experiencing the xdm issue.

  6. Re: xdm

    > To clarify, yes, I did run packman and installed all of the packages
    > (and source) prior to experiencing the xdm issue.

    Humm...maybe you need to check you vmware configures or try another
    virtual machine, like qemu :-)

  7. Re: xdm

    lee.duhem@gmail.com wrote:
    > > To clarify, yes, I did run packman and installed all of the packages
    > > (and source) prior to experiencing the xdm issue.

    > Humm...maybe you need to check you vmware configures or try another
    > virtual machine, like qemu :-)

    I wasn't using any virtual machine.

  8. Re: xdm

    > I wasn't using any virtual machine.

    Sorry, wrong included message.

  9. Re: xdm

    bob@coolgroups.com writes:

    > superhorse2002@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> I get the same problem as bob@coolgroups.com,I use packman command to
    >> install X11R6.8.2,then I enter xdm,nothing happened.
    >> Later I think maybe there are not enough memory,so I set the memory to
    >> 384MB to vmware machine.
    >> But the result is same.But when I enter startx,minix enter to x
    >> window,but I can't use it.I can't see the login screen.
    >> So, I can't use X window correct.
    >> I want to restall it to do better.

    > To clarify, yes, I did run packman and installed all of the packages
    > (and source) prior to experiencing the xdm issue.

    Friends,

    I suspect that is the same problem that has been rehashed here every
    three weeks for the last months :-). Problem seems to be the memory
    reserved for the X server which has to be set with chmem. I might even
    reproduce this wrong (since I never had that problem ...) so do
    yourself a favour and search for those threads in some archive of
    c.o.m or the minix mailing list.

    Or it might be a completely unrelated problem, but you only can be
    sure if you use the archives first and make sure that the already
    known solution don't work.

    And: Try invoking X directly to get some error trace. xdm AFAIK either
    dies silently if X doesn't word or redirects the error output to some
    file (which you could try to find).

    Regards -- Markus

+ Reply to Thread