chapter 2 problem 44 - Minix

This is a discussion on chapter 2 problem 44 - Minix ; hi i'm trying to tinker with the minix kernel so i started out with the end of chapter problems: the first one to do with kernel hacking is pb 44 at end of chapter 2 now, i really have read ...

  1. chapter 2 problem 44

    hi

    i'm trying to tinker with the minix kernel so i started out with the
    end of chapter problems: the first one to do with kernel hacking is pb
    44 at end of chapter 2
    now, i really have read the chapter (and not only once! so please dont
    refer me back to the book) and the truth is i dont have a clue how i
    can go about
    would someone please tell me what i would have to do (in principle) to
    solve this problem, which functions i have to consider, aso...

    my ideas is the id have to tinker with the interrupt handler that
    handles the keyboard, but how do i catch this and how do i find out
    whether the key his was f4??

    please, help me to get started with this!

    thanx

    martin

  2. Re: chapter 2 problem 44

    hi again

    first i thought i'd have to look into the function definition of
    generic_handler but i dont really understand what's going on there

    then my second approach was the following: when you press f4 in minix,
    you get a dump info on all the processes with proc nr, id, name, flags,
    and so on

    the very first line has the following pattern:

    "--nr-id-name---- -flags-"...and so on

    so i thought i'd just search for this pattern throughout the whole
    minix source directories so i can trace this dump back and see how the
    flow of control is...

    but it doesnt work

    searching for this pattern (strangely) brings no results!!!

    what can i do

    please help!!!
    thanx,

    martin