sata drives - Minix

This is a discussion on sata drives - Minix ; is there anyone working on support for SATA disks? if so, what's the availability forecast? if not, can i assume this is effectively in the infinite future? thanks for your reply. tony...

  1. sata drives

    is there anyone working on support for SATA disks? if so, what's the
    availability forecast? if not, can i assume this is effectively in the
    infinite future?

    thanks for your reply.

    tony

  2. Re: sata drives

    In article ,
    tony B wrote:
    >is there anyone working on support for SATA disks?

    No.

    >if so, what's the
    >availability forecast?

    Minus 9 months.

    >if not, can i assume this is effectively in the
    >infinite future?

    No, 3.1.2a supports SATA.

  3. Re: sata drives

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:18:56 +0100, Philip Homburg wrote:

    >>if not, can i assume this is effectively in the
    >>infinite future?

    > No, 3.1.2a supports SATA.

    In May, using 3.1.2a, I was unable to install from a SATA CD drive onto a
    SATA disk. One of your colleagues -- forgot his name; sorry -- said there
    was some unknown problem with SATA CD drives. My foggy old brain cannot
    bring up the details, but I'll try to reproduce it again in a few days and
    post it to whatever bug reporting facility you have.

    Minor point: your web page still says: The hard disk must be an IDE hard
    disk.

    Thanks for the reply.

    tony

  4. Re: sata drives

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:20:08 -0600, tony B wrote:

    > Minor point: your web page still says: The hard disk must be an IDE hard
    > disk.

    SATA and PATA drives are all IDE. That means their drive electronics is
    integrated on the drive. The page means IDE as opposed to SCSI.

  5. Re: sata drives

    In article ,
    tony B wrote:
    >In May, using 3.1.2a, I was unable to install from a SATA CD drive onto a
    >SATA disk. One of your colleagues -- forgot his name; sorry -- said there
    >was some unknown problem with SATA CD drives. My foggy old brain cannot
    >bring up the details, but I'll try to reproduce it again in a few days and
    >post it to whatever bug reporting facility you have.

    At that time we didn't have a lot of experience with SATA.

  6. Re: sata drives

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:23:16 +0100, Philip Homburg wrote:

    > In article ,
    >
    > At that time we didn't have a lot of experience with SATA.

    Just in case there was a newer install package than I used before, I d/l
    the current one, checked md5sum, burned the iso, and tried again. No joy
    again. So I sent a bug report.

    For other reasons I plan to buy an older (used) PC at the University
    warehouse tomorrow, so probably it will install on that. The bug report
    is just for your info.

    Thanks for your response, Philip.

    tony

  7. Re: sata drives

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:18:28 +0100, mark south wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:20:08 -0600, tony B wrote:
    >
    >> Minor point: your web page still says: The hard disk must be an IDE hard
    >> disk.

    > SATA and PATA drives are all IDE. That means their drive electronics is
    > integrated on the drive. The page means IDE as opposed to SCSI.

    You are, of course, correct. I've seen/heard numerous references to "IDE
    and SATA" when the person obviously meant "PATA and SATA", and assumed
    that was common usage. I stand corrected. Thanks for your post, Mark.

    tony

  8. Re: sata drives

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:53:30 -0600, tony B wrote:

    > Just in case there was a newer install package than I used before, I d/l
    > the current one, checked md5sum, burned the iso, and tried again. No joy
    > again. So I sent a bug report.

    Ben Gras -- whose name I could not recall earlier -- responded to
    my bug report suggesting I change the BIOS parameter "ATA/IDE mode" from
    Enhanced to Legacy. I did, and everything came up ... just like it's
    supposed to as far as I can tell. I share that in case anyone else
    has had a similar problem.

    And, for the few minutes I was able to spend with it, Minix3 seemed quite
    sprightly on my machine. I look forward to exploring it when I have more
    time. Thanks to Ben for his help.

    tony

  9. Re: sata drives

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:58:32 -0600, tony B wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:18:28 +0100, mark south wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:20:08 -0600, tony B wrote:
    >>
    >>> Minor point: your web page still says: The hard disk must be an IDE hard
    >>> disk.

    >> SATA and PATA drives are all IDE. That means their drive electronics is
    >> integrated on the drive. The page means IDE as opposed to SCSI.

    > You are, of course, correct. I've seen/heard numerous references to "IDE
    > and SATA" when the person obviously meant "PATA and SATA", and assumed
    > that was common usage. I stand corrected. Thanks for your post, Mark.

    And I should have added, sorry for being such a pedant. Only sometimes
    the details do matter. The reason for being a pedant all the time is that
    often one doesn't know in advance whether the details will matter or not :-)

  10. Re: sata drives

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:09:50 +0100, mark south wrote:

    > And I should have added, sorry for being such a pedant. Only sometimes
    > the details do matter. The reason for being a pedant all the time is that
    > often one doesn't know in advance whether the details will matter or not :-)

    Pedantry in the defense of accuracy is no vice. ;-)

    tony

+ Reply to Thread