PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a - Minix

This is a discussion on PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a - Minix ; I've been playing with Minix 3.1.2a and 2.04 since my last posts requesting advice on what machine to use. I happened to have an appropriate machine in the garage and I'm using it for now. K6 - 450MHz 384MB 18GB ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

  1. PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    I've been playing with Minix 3.1.2a and 2.04 since my last posts
    requesting advice on what machine to use.
    I happened to have an appropriate machine in the garage and I'm using
    it for now.

    K6 - 450MHz
    384MB
    18GB ATA HD
    STB Nitro 3D PCI video w/ 4MB video ram
    3c509b TP enet or RTL8139 (both work OK) The 3c509 is in there right
    now.

    I have a little net with 6 PCs on it. I use DNSMasq to serve the
    domain: 2 XP, 3 Linux, 1 Minix.

    Minix 2.04 works fine after informing it of VIA's PCI controllers and
    recompiling.

    I have a question about DHCP. 2.04 works great and registers with
    DHCP/DNS in a flash.

    3.1.2a takes forever and complains that it couldn't get an IP address,
    though it does get one - and the correct one at that.

    Have I missed a configuration option? My thinking was that man boot
    says that if I am in a network with a DHCP/DNS server, no config files
    need be tinkered with.

    I have another question:

    There is a boot message to this effect:

    PCI: video memory for device at: 0.20.0 67108864 Bytes

    Of course my video card has only 4MB on it. Any ideas? Is this
    potentially harmful?


    Thanks,
    Dave Day


  2. Re: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    In article <1165598866.968708.246890@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >3.1.2a takes forever and complains that it couldn't get an IP address,
    >though it does get one - and the correct one at that.


    There is small bug in the dhcp daemon in 3.1.2a.

    The SVN repository at gforge.cs.vu.nl has the patch.

    >There is a boot message to this effect:
    >
    >PCI: video memory for device at: 0.20.0 67108864 Bytes
    >
    >Of course my video card has only 4MB on it. Any ideas? Is this
    >potentially harmful?


    The size that is reported is the amount of PCI space claimed by the
    video card. The post install script of the X package uses this information
    to resize the X server binary. The X server itself usually knows the
    the amount of video memory but the there is no easy way to get it
    reported.


    --
    That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

  3. Re: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    Thank you Philip,

    The SVN patch seems to have fixed it.

    =====

    My 3c509 card is only recognized every other time that I reboot Minix.

    When the boot process gets to:

    Starting services: random dpeth inet printer

    The next line is:

    eth#0: warning, no ethernet card found at 0x0300

    The next time I reboot, usually from the login prompt with Ctrl-Alt-Del
    because I don't want in the system if ethernet is not up, the system
    finds the card and all is well. It is very consistent, the system
    finds the card on every other reboot.

    Any thoughts anyone?

    Thanks again,
    Dave




    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article <1165598866.968708.246890@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > wrote:
    > >3.1.2a takes forever and complains that it couldn't get an IP address,
    > >though it does get one - and the correct one at that.

    >
    > There is small bug in the dhcp daemon in 3.1.2a.
    >
    > The SVN repository at gforge.cs.vu.nl has the patch.
    >
    > >There is a boot message to this effect:
    > >
    > >PCI: video memory for device at: 0.20.0 67108864 Bytes
    > >
    > >Of course my video card has only 4MB on it. Any ideas? Is this
    > >potentially harmful?

    >
    > The size that is reported is the amount of PCI space claimed by the
    > video card. The post install script of the X package uses this information
    > to resize the X server binary. The X server itself usually knows the
    > the amount of video memory but the there is no easy way to get it
    > reported.
    >
    >
    > --
    > That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
    > could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
    > by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
    > -- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency



  4. Re: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    dday@sc.rr.com wrote:

    > My 3c509 card is only recognized every other time that I reboot Minix.
    >
    > When the boot process gets to:
    >
    > Starting services: random dpeth inet printer
    >
    > The next line is:
    >
    > eth#0: warning, no ethernet card found at 0x0300
    >
    > The next time I reboot, usually from the login prompt with Ctrl-Alt-Del
    > because I don't want in the system if ethernet is not up, the system
    > finds the card and all is well. It is very consistent, the system
    > finds the card on every other reboot.
    >
    > Any thoughts anyone?
    >


    Did you disable the 3c509 pnp facility? Try to run the 3c509 setup
    utility and set a fixed I/O address at 300.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.
    Registered Linux user #337974 < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >

  5. Re: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    Thanks Giovanni,

    Yes, I have turned off plug and play and set the card with fixed
    parameters of 0x0300 and INT 10.
    I set DPETH0 = 0x300:10 in the boot loader's environment.

    My linux wouldn't find the card at all till I had turned PNP off.

    Dave

    Giovanni wrote:
    > dday@sc.rr.com wrote:
    >
    > > My 3c509 card is only recognized every other time that I reboot Minix.
    > >
    > > When the boot process gets to:
    > >
    > > Starting services: random dpeth inet printer
    > >
    > > The next line is:
    > >
    > > eth#0: warning, no ethernet card found at 0x0300
    > >
    > > The next time I reboot, usually from the login prompt with Ctrl-Alt-Del
    > > because I don't want in the system if ethernet is not up, the system
    > > finds the card and all is well. It is very consistent, the system
    > > finds the card on every other reboot.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts anyone?
    > >

    >
    > Did you disable the 3c509 pnp facility? Try to run the 3c509 setup
    > utility and set a fixed I/O address at 300.
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni
    > --
    > A computer is like an air conditioner,
    > it stops working when you open Windows.
    > Registered Linux user #337974 < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >



  6. Re: PCI video memory in Minix 3.1.2a

    dday@sc.rr.com wrote:
    > Thanks Giovanni,
    >
    > Yes, I have turned off plug and play and set the card with fixed
    > parameters of 0x0300 and INT 10.
    > I set DPETH0 = 0x300:10 in the boot loader's environment.
    >
    > My linux wouldn't find the card at all till I had turned PNP off.
    >
    > Dave
    >


    IIRC in Minix 3.1.2 you have to set the parameters for the card in the
    file /usr/etc/rc.local.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.
    Registered Linux user #337974 < http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >

+ Reply to Thread