Virtual memory - Minix

This is a discussion on Virtual memory - Minix ; Hi group, Does MINIX 3.1.2a support virtual memory and dynamicly linked library? Thanks. Best, Danny...

  1. Virtual memory

    Hi group,

    Does MINIX 3.1.2a support virtual memory and dynamicly linked library?
    Thanks.

    Best,
    Danny

  2. Re: Virtual memory

    dannyzinc@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi group,

    > Does MINIX 3.1.2a support virtual memory and dynamicly linked library?

    No

    --
    Jens de Smit

  3. Re: Virtual memory

    Is virtual memory support on MINIX3's todo list though?

    Smit de JF wrote:
    > dannyzinc@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi group,

    > > Does MINIX 3.1.2a support virtual memory and dynamicly linked library?

    > No
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

  4. Re: Virtual memory

    Last time I enquired, it was on the todo list, but afaik not even a
    design sketch has been done yet.
    -ivan
    dannyzinc@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is virtual memory support on MINIX3's todo list though?
    >
    > Smit de JF wrote:
    > > dannyzinc@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hi group,

    > > > Does MINIX 3.1.2a support virtual memory and dynamicly linked library?

    > > No
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfdsmit@few.vu.nl | http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

  5. Re: Virtual memory

    Check http://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    --
    Jens de Smit

  6. Re: Virtual memory

    The entire point of the Minix operating system is to have a
    stripped-down OS for educational purposes. Virtual memory adds a major
    complication to the kernel and should not be directly integrated into
    the Minix OS. It would be cool, however to have a Virtual Memory
    server process which could be enabled or disabled in the makefile.

    On Dec 8, 5:49 pm, Smit de JF wrote:
    > dannyz...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is virtual memory support on MINIX3's todo list though?Checkhttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

  7. Re: No excuse

    POLJM242 wrote:
    > The entire point of the Minix operating system is to have a
    > stripped-down OS for educational purposes. Virtual memory adds a major
    > complication to the kernel and should not be directly integrated into
    > the Minix OS. It would be cool, however to have a Virtual Memory
    > server process which could be enabled or disabled in the makefile.
    >
    > On Dec 8, 5:49 pm, Smit de JF wrote:
    >
    >>dannyz...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is virtual memory support on MINIX3's todo list though?Checkhttp://www.minix3.org/who_doing_what.html

    >>--
    >>Jens de Smit
    >>Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    >>jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

    An OS without VM ist like driving a car with only one gear.
    If you say, OS, stripped down, educational purposes,
    no VM because major complexities, then this sounds
    plausible for an OS from little tiny very well educated
    Holland, where are no hills and it is so flat, that even
    going backwards without transmission is no problem,
    the car be pushed manually.

    But this misses the point.
    Once upon a time there was this DAF variomatic,
    a Dutch stripped down car, looking like being only
    for educational purposes.
    But it had a completely shiftless transmission
    with the full functionality of a common
    manual or automatic transmission but it
    did not offend the user with any complexity,
    he just had to decide and tell the car,
    whether to go forward or backward.
    It was even superior to common
    transmissions,
    Also the Neutral was fully automatic.
    It could go backwards
    as fast as forward. This would be equivalent to
    an OS functionality, which allows to
    bring back the status of all storage levels
    to a past point in the time it would take it to
    bring all levels forward.
    So take this as challenge, the world is waiting for it.

  8. Re: Virtual memory

    "POLJM242" wrote in message
    news:1165674315.317573.55840@j72g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

    > The entire point of the Minix operating system is to have a
    > stripped-down OS for educational purposes.

    That's what it used to be. The goals are more ambitious now from what
    I've read.

    Tony

  9. Re: No excuse

    news.t-online.de wrote:
    > POLJM242 wrote:
    >
    >> The entire point of the Minix operating system is to have a
    >> stripped-down OS for educational purposes. Virtual memory adds a major
    >> complication to the kernel and should not be directly integrated into
    >> the Minix OS. It would be cool, however to have a Virtual Memory
    >> server process which could be enabled or disabled in the makefile.

    >>> --
    >>> Jens de Smit
    >>> Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    >>> jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit

    > An OS without VM

    Minix 3.x supports vitual memory ... but it doesn't support DEMAND PAGING !

    The rest of your post is simpy nonsens

    --Armin

    ist like driving a car with only one gear.
    > If you say, OS, stripped down, educational purposes,
    > no VM because major complexities, then this sounds
    > plausible for an OS from little tiny very well educated
    > Holland, where are no hills and it is so flat, that even
    > going backwards without transmission is no problem,
    > the car be pushed manually.
    >
    > But this misses the point.
    > Once upon a time there was this DAF variomatic,
    > a Dutch stripped down car, looking like being only
    > for educational purposes.
    > But it had a completely shiftless transmission
    > with the full functionality of a common
    > manual or automatic transmission but it
    > did not offend the user with any complexity,
    > he just had to decide and tell the car,
    > whether to go forward or backward.
    > It was even superior to common
    > transmissions,
    > Also the Neutral was fully automatic.
    > It could go backwards
    > as fast as forward. This would be equivalent to
    > an OS functionality, which allows to
    > bring back the status of all storage levels
    > to a past point in the time it would take it to
    > bring all levels forward.
    > So take this as challenge, the world is waiting for it.

  10. Re: No excuse

    > Minix 3.x supports vitual memory ... but it doesn't support DEMAND
    > PAGING !

    I supoose that this mostly depends on the definition of virtual memory.
    With the most commonly definitions, Minix would not support virtual
    memory.

    Some definitions follow below, taken from the following sites:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...rtual%20memory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

    Memory, often as simulated on a hard disk, that emulates RAM, allowing
    an application to operate as though the computer has more memory than
    it actually does.

    Not implemented in Minix.

    Without demand paging, an OS would need to allocate physical memory for
    the whole of every active program and its data. Such a system might
    still use an MMU so that each program could be located at the same
    virtual address and not require run-time relocation. Thus virtual
    addressing does not necessarily imply the existence of virtual memory.

    This implies that Minix supports virtual addressing but not virtual
    memory.

    Virtual memory or virtual memory addressing is a memory management
    technique, used by computer operating systems, more common in
    multitasking OSes, wherein non-contiguous memory is presented to a
    software (aka process) as contiguous memory.

    Not implemented in Minix. Segments are contiguous in physical memory,
    resulting in memory fragmentation.

  11. Re: No excuse

    Armin wrote:
    > news.t-online.de wrote:
    >
    >> POLJM242 wrote:
    >>
    >>> The entire point of the Minix operating system is to have a
    >>> stripped-down OS for educational purposes. Virtual memory adds a major
    >>> complication to the kernel and should not be directly integrated into
    >>> the Minix OS. It would be cool, however to have a Virtual Memory
    >>> server process which could be enabled or disabled in the makefile.

    >> An OS without VM

    > Minix 3.x supports vitual memory ... but it doesn't support DEMAND PAGING !
    >
    > The rest of your post is simpy nonsens

    Have a look here,feel inspired and get the work done.
    DAF in reverse racing with caravans and competitors
    under heavy load

    http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...e+land+ter+zee

+ Reply to Thread