what can minx 3 do? - Minix

This is a discussion on what can minx 3 do? - Minix ; Hi all, Of course, except coding. I have an old 486 pc with only 8M ram in it. I want to install minix 3 on it. But I am not so clear that what can it do? You see, since ...

  1. what can minx 3 do?

    Hi all,
    Of course, except coding.
    I have an old 486 pc with only 8M ram in it. I want to install minix
    3 on it. But I am not so clear that what can it do?
    You see, since the ram is so small. Maybe I will not install X
    circumstance. But only with console, can I view the WWW or usernet? And
    which program should I choose? I don't think I
    can go on internet only with ls or grep.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: what can minx 3 do?

    Ryan Wang wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Of course, except coding.
    > I have an old 486 pc with only 8M ram in it. I want to install minix
    > 3 on it. But I am not so clear that what can it do?
    > You see, since the ram is so small. Maybe I will not install X
    > circumstance. But only with console, can I view the WWW or usernet? And
    > which program should I choose? I don't think I
    > can go on internet only with ls or grep.
    > Thanks.

    Hello,Mr Wang, why do you want to use minix ,why not linux or other
    unix-like OS ?
    And don't worry about the programs you want for future work,there are
    so many programs
    available. elinks and lynx can help you surf the Internet.

  3. Re: what can minx 3 do?

    "Pip д
    > Hello,Mr Wang, why do you want to use minix ,why not linux or other
    > unix-like OS ?
    > And don't worry about the programs you want for future work,there are
    > so many programs
    > available. elinks and lynx can help you surf the Internet.

    Thank you Pip.
    I choose Minx as the operation system only because my poor pc
    configure.
    Since the minix 3 can run on the 100-Dollar Pc, I think my old 486
    could run
    it too. Another reason is I am a newbie of this *nix world. I think I
    could study
    this much simpler *nix system by using it.

+ Reply to Thread