Getting data from process to another...HELP??? - Minix

This is a discussion on Getting data from process to another...HELP??? - Minix ; I am trying to write a simple program that will process some data, then pass it onto another process to do some more processing.. How do I do it? I understand that minix uses message passing and that there is ...

  1. Getting data from process to another...HELP???

    I am trying to write a simple program that will process some data, then
    pass it onto another process to do some more processing.. How do I do
    it?

    I understand that minix uses message passing and that there is no
    "shared memory".

    Could someone please give me some guidance... I've pretty much read the
    "Operating Systems: Design and Implemenation 3rd Ed." from cover to
    cover, and I can't find the spot where is says, this is how you....

    Please help... Thanks

    Dave

  2. Re: Getting data from process to another...HELP???

    dave373 schreef:

    > I am trying to write a simple program that will process some data, then
    > pass it onto another process to do some more processing.. How do I do
    > it?
    >
    > I understand that minix uses message passing and that there is no
    > "shared memory".
    >
    > Could someone please give me some guidance... I've pretty much read the
    > "Operating Systems: Design and Implemenation 3rd Ed." from cover to
    > cover, and I can't find the spot where is says, this is how you....
    >
    > Please help... Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    if program1 one writes to standard output (with putchar() for example)
    and program2 reads from standard input (with getchar() for example),
    you can use pipe in shell to combine proces 1 and 2:

    $ program1 | program2

  3. Re: Getting data from process to another...HELP???