VM Server Process - Minix

This is a discussion on VM Server Process - Minix ; I began a research project while I was in graduate school to port an existing programming language's virtual machine (i.e. JVM, .NET, Unicon) as a server process into the Minix micro-kernel structure. This VM server process would be similar to ...

  1. VM Server Process

    I began a research project while I was in graduate school to port an
    existing programming language's virtual machine (i.e. JVM, .NET,
    Unicon) as a server process into the Minix micro-kernel structure.
    This VM server process would be similar to the MM or FS server
    processes in that system calls would be mapped to the new VM when
    necessary.

    I have since moved around, had kids, and have just now found the
    motivation to begin work on this project again. Please let me know if
    this sounds interesting to anyone else.

    I am willing to start from scratch, but leave the premise the same -
    link multiple Minix system's VM server processes in a distributed
    fashion.

  2. Re: VM Server Process

    > I began a research project while I was in graduate school to port an
    > existing programming language's virtual machine (i.e. JVM, .NET,
    > Unicon) as a server process into the Minix micro-kernel structure.
    > This VM server process would be similar to the MM or FS server
    > processes in that system calls would be mapped to the new VM when
    > necessary.
    >
    > I have since moved around, had kids, and have just now found the
    > motivation to begin work on this project again. Please let me know if
    > this sounds interesting to anyone else.
    >
    > I am willing to start from scratch, but leave the premise the same -
    > link multiple Minix system's VM server processes in a distributed
    > fashion.

    Mr. Tanenbaum posted a request at the VU newsgroups some time ago to
    ask if people were willing to port Java. If you want to do this and be
    sure that you're not wasting your time porting something someone else
    is already porting, you should probably ask him in advance.

    I think writing something like the JVM or .NET from scratch is probably
    a waste of time. Even if you implement the VMs, you still won't be able
    to run anything as that requires the library to be available as well.
    These libaries will be too large for a single person to write from
    scratch. You'll probably also find that the .NET API maps very closely
    to the Windows API and may therefore be relatively hard to write in a
    Posix environment.

  3. Re: VM Server Process

    I agree that this may be a futile attempt. However, I also think there
    is value in mapping VM programming environments as close to the
    OS/hardware as possible. For ease of coding and other reasons, VM
    environments are being used more frequently for execution rather than
    coding to the bare machine.

    Also, if the libraries are written in the VM-language, they should
    execute as expected in the VM itself. The JVM or .NET is very
    ambitious but other programming environments exist which might
    demonstrate a proof of concept.

    Thoughts?

    On Dec 6, 7:51 pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" wrote:
    > > I began a research project while I was in graduate school to port an
    > > existing programming language's virtual machine (i.e. JVM, .NET,
    > > Unicon) as a server process into the Minix micro-kernel structure.
    > > This VM server process would be similar to the MM or FS server
    > > processes in that system calls would be mapped to the new VM when
    > > necessary.

    > > I have since moved around, had kids, and have just now found the
    > > motivation to begin work on this project again. Please let me know if
    > > this sounds interesting to anyone else.

    > > I am willing to start from scratch, but leave the premise the same -
    > > link multiple Minix system's VM server processes in a distributed
    > > fashion.Mr. Tanenbaum posted a request at the VU newsgroups some time ago to

    > ask if people were willing to port Java. If you want to do this and be
    > sure that you're not wasting your time porting something someone else
    > is already porting, you should probably ask him in advance.
    >
    > I think writing something like the JVM or .NET from scratch is probably
    > a waste of time. Even if you implement the VMs, you still won't be able
    > to run anything as that requires the library to be available as well.
    > These libaries will be too large for a single person to write from
    > scratch. You'll probably also find that the .NET API maps very closely
    > to the Windows API and may therefore be relatively hard to write in a
    > Posix environment.

+ Reply to Thread