FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs - Minix

This is a discussion on FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs - Minix ; Hi, I'm interested in developing my own file system on Minix 2.0 which is running on Bochs 2 on Windows. I have a few questions with respect to this which I'm hoping someone will be able to clear. 1) How ...

  1. FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    Hi,
    I'm interested in developing my own file system on Minix 2.0 which is
    running on Bochs 2 on Windows. I have a few questions with respect to
    this which I'm hoping someone will be able to clear.
    1) How do I create and use a virtual hard disk ? I want to use a chunk
    of 100 MB for my file system as a virtual hard disk.
    2) Minix appears as an img file. When i run it via Bochs I can browse
    to various directories like /usr and so on. But if I have to modify the
    kernel sources I'll have to do it via some editor within minix. Is
    there a way of viewing the file system hierarchy in windows? ( If this
    would be possible then i could view the files via a windows based
    editor. )

    Thanks,

    Piyush

  2. Re: FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    > 1) How do I create and use a virtual hard disk ? I want to use a chunk
    > of 100 MB for my file system as a virtual hard disk.

    >From command prompt, use the `bximage' utility included in Bochs.

    > 2) Minix appears as an img file. When i run it via Bochs I can browse
    > to various directories like /usr and so on. But if I have to modify the
    > kernel sources I'll have to do it via some editor within minix. Is
    > there a way of viewing the file system hierarchy in windows? ( If this
    > would be possible then i could view the files via a windows based
    > editor. )

    As far as I know, no!

    Regards,
    Bahman

  3. Re: FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    Bahman M. wrote:
    > > 1) How do I create and use a virtual hard disk ? I want to use a chunk
    > > of 100 MB for my file system as a virtual hard disk.

    > >From command prompt, use the `bximage' utility included in Bochs.

    > > 2) Minix appears as an img file. When i run it via Bochs I can browse
    > > to various directories like /usr and so on. But if I have to modify the
    > > kernel sources I'll have to do it via some editor within minix. Is
    > > there a way of viewing the file system hierarchy in windows? ( If this
    > > would be possible then i could view the files via a windows based
    > > editor. )

    > As far as I know, no!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bahman

    No is an answer to the first point / second point or both?

  4. Re: FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    > I'm interested in developing my own file system on Minix 2.0 which is
    > running on Bochs 2 on Windows. I have a few questions with respect to
    > this which I'm hoping someone will be able to clear.
    > 1) How do I create and use a virtual hard disk ? I want to use a chunk
    > of 100 MB for my file system as a virtual hard disk.
    > 2) Minix appears as an img file. When i run it via Bochs I can browse
    > to various directories like /usr and so on. But if I have to modify
    > the kernel sources I'll have to do it via some editor within minix. Is
    > there a way of viewing the file system hierarchy in windows? ( If this
    > would be possible then i could view the files via a windows based
    > editor. )

    If you use VMWare player (which is free) you get network connectivity
    between your virtual Minix and Windows, which allows you to browse the
    filesystem through FTP.

    VMWare player doesn't allow you to create new virtual machines, but you
    can still make them by editing the configuration file (which is a text
    file) and creating new disks using qemu-img. This is a tool which comes
    with the Qemu VMM.

    I didn't try this, but i think VMWare would allow you to add a second
    disk.

  5. Re: FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    Erik van der Kouwe wrote:
    > > I'm interested in developing my own file system on Minix 2.0 which is
    > > running on Bochs 2 on Windows. I have a few questions with respect to
    > > this which I'm hoping someone will be able to clear.
    > > 1) How do I create and use a virtual hard disk ? I want to use a chunk
    > > of 100 MB for my file system as a virtual hard disk.
    > > 2) Minix appears as an img file. When i run it via Bochs I can browse
    > > to various directories like /usr and so on. But if I have to modify
    > > the kernel sources I'll have to do it via some editor within minix. Is
    > > there a way of viewing the file system hierarchy in windows? ( If this
    > > would be possible then i could view the files via a windows based
    > > editor. )

    > If you use VMWare player (which is free) you get network connectivity
    > between your virtual Minix and Windows, which allows you to browse the
    > filesystem through FTP.
    >
    > VMWare player doesn't allow you to create new virtual machines, but you
    > can still make them by editing the configuration file (which is a text
    > file) and creating new disks using qemu-img. This is a tool which comes
    > with the Qemu VMM.
    >
    > I didn't try this, but i think VMWare would allow you to add a second
    > disk.

    Bochs comes with a tool called bximage. Can i use that tool to create a
    virtual harddisk and mount it on Minix?

  6. Re: FileSystem development with Minix on Bochs

    > Bochs comes with a tool called bximage. Can i use that tool to create a
    > virtual harddisk and mount it on Minix?

    `No' was the answer to your 2nd question. The answer to the first one
    has had been difficult to see as I had typed an extra '>' at the
    beginning of the line. Sorry!

    Yes! `bximage' is the standard and currently the only way to do so.

    Regards,
    Bahman

+ Reply to Thread