Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simply can'tbe done. - Minix

This is a discussion on Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simply can'tbe done. - Minix ; You have mentioned that you wish to compile Minix -- this is not the proper route to take. No OS, and I mean this quite literally, is meant to be bootstrapped in such a fashion. Every OS ever made is ...

  1. Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simply can'tbe done.

    You have mentioned that you wish to compile Minix -- this is not the
    proper route to take. No OS, and I mean this quite literally, is meant
    to be bootstrapped in such a fashion. Every OS ever made is meant to be
    installed from binaries. NetBSD might come close as it is
    cross-compilable in nearly any environment, but you still must build a
    ISO from the binaries.

    Minix doesn't natively understand DOS filesystems. Also, the Minix
    source code can only be compiled into a proper binary system using the
    Amsterdam Compiler Kit (ACK), which the only version that can compile
    Minix will only run under Minix.

    In short, in order to compile Minix, you must have Minix already
    installed and running. This can't really be changed. Even if you were to
    try to compile the userland utilities under Linux, they would be Linux
    binaries, in ELF format, using shared libraries, which are all things
    Minix cannot handle. You would need to build a cross-compiler (it would
    take several recompiles of ACK, and a lot of luck) in order to build
    Minix under another OS, and you must note that the kernel binary is in a
    special format -- not some simple standard format. It's a collection of
    a.out format executables, and requires special Minix-only tools to build.

    In short, just install Minix the normal way, and don't try to preform
    any weird compiler trickery -- it would require knowledge of a computer
    science professor to get it to cross-compile and install as you want,
    and then it still probably won't work.

    Just install Minix 3 using the ISO.

  2. Re: Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simply can't be done.

    Segin wrote:
    > You have mentioned that you wish to compile Minix -- this is not the
    > proper route to take. No OS, and I mean this quite literally, is meant
    > to be bootstrapped in such a fashion. Every OS ever made is meant to be
    > installed from binaries. NetBSD might come close as it is
    > cross-compilable in nearly any environment, but you still must build a
    > ISO from the binaries.
    > (snip...)

    Obviously not: at least one Minix system (the very first) had to
    be cross-compiled, since there was, as yet, no Minix system
    to build it on.

    Now that Minix is mature, there is little need to build it
    entirely from scratch. You can if you want, but it's
    not the best way to get going with Minix.

    Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
    Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
    ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

  3. Re: Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simplycan't be done.

    "laura halliday" writes:

    > Segin wrote:
    >> You have mentioned that you wish to compile Minix -- this is not the
    >> proper route to take. No OS, and I mean this quite literally, is meant
    >> to be bootstrapped in such a fashion. Every OS ever made is meant to be
    >> installed from binaries. NetBSD might come close as it is
    >> cross-compilable in nearly any environment, but you still must build a
    >> ISO from the binaries.
    >> (snip...)

    > Obviously not: at least one Minix system (the very first) had to
    > be cross-compiled, since there was, as yet, no Minix system
    > to build it on.

    There was also quite a good description in OSDI/1 how to crosscompile
    Minix 1.1 on PC-IX or MS-DOS (!!) with non ACK-Compilers (I don't
    remember why -- probably to facilate porting or for not-quite-so
    compatible clones?).

    Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: Building and installing Minix from source -- why it simply can'tbe done.

    Segin wrote:
    > You have mentioned that you wish to compile Minix -- this is not the
    > proper route to take. No OS, and I mean this quite literally, is meant
    > to be bootstrapped in such a fashion. Every OS ever made is meant to be
    > installed from binaries. NetBSD might come close as it is
    > cross-compilable in nearly any environment, but you still must build a
    > ISO from the binaries.

    I cross-built NetBSD/sparc64 and installed it from a running Solaris
    userland, and documented the process. I don't see a technical reason
    why it couldn't be done on other platforms. In fact, I seem to remember
    NetBSD/mac68k using an MacOS application as an installer.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread