minix - posix - Minix

This is a discussion on minix - posix - Minix ; Hello group, On the website there always is given, the book by Tanenbaum and Woodhull as the 1 st. source of information. So I ordered it, but still waiting. But I already installed the system and looked into it. Read ...

  1. minix - posix

    Hello group,

    On the website there always is given, the book by Tanenbaum and Woodhull
    as the 1 st. source of information. So I ordered it, but still waiting.
    But I already installed the system and looked into it. Read the stuff on
    webpage and in Internet. Here we speek about minix3. This wants to be
    "usable as a serious system on resource-limited and embedded computers
    and for applications requiring high reliability". And it want to be
    POSIX compliant. I hope that the book will answer some questions. But
    also I afraid, that some questions will not. So, main question is:

    Is there any road map, to implement also the POSIX extensions like
    sys/msg.h a.s.o? One of the need is written to port software to MINIX.
    Wouldn't it be better, if some software use some extensions already
    implement the extensions into MINIX, instead write it for every software
    again? Which POSIX extension is planed to integrate and which not and
    why? That would be my question for first.

    TNXXX.

    Regards,
    Mathias Kr├╝ger

  2. Re: minix - posix

    In article ,
    Mathias =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kr=C3=BCger?= wrote:
    >Is there any road map, to implement also the POSIX extensions like
    >sys/msg.h a.s.o?

    It looks like POSIX defines XSI as an optional extension. So I guess
    that it will not get a very high priority unless it is required by
    some important applications.

    SysV shared memory segments rely on VM, so that has to wait until there
    is a virtual memory implementation.

  3. Re: minix - posix

    > It looks like POSIX defines XSI as an optional extension. So I guess
    > that it will not get a very high priority unless it is required by
    > some important applications.
    >
    > SysV shared memory segments rely on VM, so that has to wait until there
    > is a virtual memory implementation.

    The book arived yesterday. So, now I am reading. But I guess, I will
    come back to this question later again.

    Regards,
    Mathias Kr├╝ger

+ Reply to Thread