x11 on my pc - Minix

This is a discussion on x11 on my pc - Minix ; hi, i'm new to this group and to minix. i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do? thanks Paolo...

  1. x11 on my pc

    hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?

    thanks

    Paolo

  2. Re: x11 on my pc

    "Chiodi84" writes:

    > hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    > i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    > tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Paolo

    Which kind of nothing does happen? Just the kind of "waiting for the
    prompt forever", the kind of "the prompt turns up without any further
    output?" or the kind of "a cryptic message appears and then nothing
    more" :-).

    Regards .. Markus

  3. Re: x11 on my pc

    M E Leypold wrote:
    > "Chiodi84" writes:
    >
    >> hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    >> i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    >> tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Paolo

    > Which kind of nothing does happen? Just the kind of "waiting for the
    > prompt forever", the kind of "the prompt turns up without any further
    > output?" or the kind of "a cryptic message appears and then nothing
    > more" :-).
    >
    > Regards .. Markus

    Since xdm kills all X server output, it would appear that literally
    nothing did happen.

  4. Re: x11 on my pc

    Chiodi84 wrote:
    > hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    > i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    > tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Paolo

    How much memory is in your computer?

    You probably need ~256MB to run X and still have plenty of room to
    work. I have 384MB and have plenty of elbow room.

    What video card do you have?

    I didn't have any luck with X until I switched to an old, small ATI
    video card.

    Two of my machines have nVidia cards and X doesn't seem to like them.
    Several folks on this forum have said that X likes old ATI Rage cards.
    I ordered two of them on ebay for $10 each.

    The RTL 8139 ethernet cards that work OK with Minix are $6 on
    pricewatch.com.

    Also, Minix doesn't page or swap, yet. You must assign a fixed amount
    of memory to be available for stack+heap for each program. How much
    you want to use will depend on how you use your applications. The
    command to do this is "chmem". Issue the command "man chmem" to learn
    more. I have seen others on this forum say they have used chmem to
    allocate 80MB to X. I use 25MB myself right now. I have used 80MB
    with OK results and I have been lowering it a little periodically to
    see how much I need. When I was trying 80MB some while ago I once
    miscounted the zeroes and instead used 8MB. All seemed OK at first but
    then X got real balky and finally crashed. I notice that as I lower
    the amount of memory I give to X, it does indeed leave more for other
    programs.

  5. Re: x11 on my pc

    if i try to do xdm the prompt just return without prompting anything
    (just nothing happens)
    if i try startx it say not enought core
    my pc is a AMD K6 II with 128 mb ram and a AGP ATI RADEON 9000.
    Could x work properly on this pc?

    dday@sc.rr.com ha scritto:

    > Chiodi84 wrote:
    > > hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    > > i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    > > tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Paolo

    > How much memory is in your computer?
    >

    > You probably need ~256MB to run X and still have plenty of room to
    > work. I have 384MB and have plenty of elbow room.
    >
    > What video card do you have?
    >
    > I didn't have any luck with X until I switched to an old, small ATI
    > video card.
    >
    > Two of my machines have nVidia cards and X doesn't seem to like them.
    > Several folks on this forum have said that X likes old ATI Rage cards.
    > I ordered two of them on ebay for $10 each.
    >
    > The RTL 8139 ethernet cards that work OK with Minix are $6 on
    > pricewatch.com.
    >
    > Also, Minix doesn't page or swap, yet. You must assign a fixed amount
    > of memory to be available for stack+heap for each program. How much
    > you want to use will depend on how you use your applications. The
    > command to do this is "chmem". Issue the command "man chmem" to learn
    > more. I have seen others on this forum say they have used chmem to
    > allocate 80MB to X. I use 25MB myself right now. I have used 80MB
    > with OK results and I have been lowering it a little periodically to
    > see how much I need. When I was trying 80MB some while ago I once
    > miscounted the zeroes and instead used 8MB. All seemed OK at first but
    > then X got real balky and finally crashed. I notice that as I lower
    > the amount of memory I give to X, it does indeed leave more for other
    > programs.

  6. Re: x11 on my pc

    Hello, look at http://www.minixtips.com/ section Running X11 on Minix
    and do a chmem. with less then 80000000. but 128 MB Memory is s little
    small for Minix in X11.

    Good Luck,

    m.
    On 2006-11-28, Chiodi84 wrote:
    > if i try to do xdm the prompt just return without prompting anything
    > (just nothing happens)
    > if i try startx it say not enought core
    > my pc is a AMD K6 II with 128 mb ram and a AGP ATI RADEON 9000.
    > Could x work properly on this pc?
    >
    > dday@sc.rr.com ha scritto:
    >
    >> Chiodi84 wrote:
    >> > hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    >> > i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    >> > tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> >
    >> > Paolo

    >> How much memory is in your computer?
    >>

    >> You probably need ~256MB to run X and still have plenty of room to
    >> work. I have 384MB and have plenty of elbow room.
    >>
    >> What video card do you have?
    >>
    >> I didn't have any luck with X until I switched to an old, small ATI
    >> video card.
    >>
    >> Two of my machines have nVidia cards and X doesn't seem to like them.
    >> Several folks on this forum have said that X likes old ATI Rage cards.
    >> I ordered two of them on ebay for $10 each.
    >>
    >> The RTL 8139 ethernet cards that work OK with Minix are $6 on
    >> pricewatch.com.
    >>
    >> Also, Minix doesn't page or swap, yet. You must assign a fixed amount
    >> of memory to be available for stack+heap for each program. How much
    >> you want to use will depend on how you use your applications. The
    >> command to do this is "chmem". Issue the command "man chmem" to learn
    >> more. I have seen others on this forum say they have used chmem to
    >> allocate 80MB to X. I use 25MB myself right now. I have used 80MB
    >> with OK results and I have been lowering it a little periodically to
    >> see how much I need. When I was trying 80MB some while ago I once
    >> miscounted the zeroes and instead used 8MB. All seemed OK at first but
    >> then X got real balky and finally crashed. I notice that as I lower
    >> the amount of memory I give to X, it does indeed leave more for other
    >> programs.

    Regards,
    Mathias Krüger

  7. Re: x11 on my pc

    Segin writes:

    > M E Leypold wrote:
    > > "Chiodi84" writes:
    > >
    > >> hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    > >> i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    > >> tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>
    > >> Paolo

    > > Which kind of nothing does happen? Just the kind of "waiting for the
    > > prompt forever", the kind of "the prompt turns up without any further
    > > output?" or the kind of "a cryptic message appears and then nothing
    > > more" :-).
    > >
    > > Regards .. Markus
    > >

    > Since xdm kills all X server output, it would appear that literally
    > nothing did happen.

    Ah, yes, that might be. But then there should be a protocoll file
    lying around somewhere ... (I think, xdm doesn't kill th output but
    redirect it in a file, but that might not be true with Minix3).

    Regards -- Markus

  8. Re: x11 on my pc

    "Chiodi84" writes:

    > hi, i'm new to this group and to minix.
    > i just tried to install the latest release and all went ok. but when
    > tried to run x11 (typing xdm) nothing happened. what could i do?

    Try to run X directly. Look for chmem and X11 in the group
    archives. If problem persists, please post error message resulting
    from running X directly.

    Regards -- Markus

  9. Re: x11 on my pc

    I'm surprised X takes up this much RAM. i ran KDE mildly comfortably on
    a 64mb box a while ago, although that was obviously with the advantage
    of virtual memory/swap [*hugs FreeBSD*], but still - i can't remember,
    but i was low on disk space so i probably would of had 100-200mb of
    swap space - and this was running KDE and all.

    my current linux desktop has ~220MB of RAM [256 really, but ~32
    reserved for video] and runs xfce + opera + amsn + ... in less than
    that, only using swap to free RAM for disk caches and such.

    i doubt X11 on minix with some fairly minimal software running
    alongside would eat up too much RAM.

  10. Re: x11 on my pc

    zak.fenton wrote:
    [...]
    > i doubt X11 on minix with some fairly minimal software running
    > alongside would eat up too much RAM.

    Remember that if your application has any pixmaps, images, etc, then they'll
    be owned by the X server and so show up in the X server's memory rather than
    your application's memory. If you're running a lot of apps, your X servercan
    legitimately get rather large. Unfortunately, this gets on rather badly with
    Minix, which can't change an application's heap size at run time --- you have
    to allocate vast amounts of memory to it up front or run the risk of it
    running out of heap...

    --
    *─┈David Given┈──McQ─╮ "There are two major products that come out of
    │┈┈dg@cowlark.com┈┈┈┈│ Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be

+ Reply to Thread