finding number of characters in keyboard buffer? - Minix

This is a discussion on finding number of characters in keyboard buffer? - Minix ; comp.os.minix finding number of characters in keyboard buffer? What's a convenient way to find the number of characters in the keyboard buffer? Hul -- - for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -...

  1. finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?

    --
    - for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -

  2. Re: finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?

    htytus@shell1.iglou.com (Hul Tytus) writes:

    > comp.os.minix
    > finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?
    >
    > What's a convenient way to find the number of characters in the keyboard
    > buffer?

    I'm convinced there is none: Only the tty driver knows about those
    (it's not a keyboard buffer, but quite probably a buffer in the tty
    driver) and AFAIK he doesn't give the information to other processes
    (no interface for that). You could implement a new ioctl in the tty
    driver, though ...

    Regards -- Markus

  3. Re: finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?

    Markus - I'd come to the same conclusion, although hoping to avoid writing more
    code at the same time.

    Hul

    M E Leypold wrote:

    > htytus@shell1.iglou.com (Hul Tytus) writes:

    > > comp.os.minix
    > > finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?
    > >
    > > What's a convenient way to find the number of characters in the keyboard
    > > buffer?

    > I'm convinced there is none: Only the tty driver knows about those
    > (it's not a keyboard buffer, but quite probably a buffer in the tty
    > driver) and AFAIK he doesn't give the information to other processes
    > (no interface for that). You could implement a new ioctl in the tty
    > driver, though ...

    > Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?

    Hul Tytus wrote:
    > comp.os.minix
    > finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?
    >
    > What's a convenient way to find the number of characters in the keyboard
    > buffer?
    >
    > Hul

    It would be best to just real all the data from the keyboard (or
    standard input, whichever), and manage the data from a buffer from
    within your program. This is the most portable (and thus best) approach
    to this task.

  5. Re: finding number of characters in keyboard buffer?

    How do you avoid getting lost in a getchar() type function when there is
    nothing left in the keyboard buffer? Stated differently, what function
    will report when the buffer is empty?

    I tried using read("fd for /dev/tty", c, 1) but there was echoing and a
    confusion visable on the screen that required rebooting. Possibly
    setttyattributes(roughly) could be used for allowing read() access?

    Hul