Minix3 with Virtual Machines - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix3 with Virtual Machines - Minix ; I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs. Which virtual machine are you using? Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware? ...

  1. Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.

    Which virtual machine are you using?

    Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware?
    (other than, of course, the fact that you do *not* need the hardware!)

    Any real disadvantages (other than slower execution speed)?

    Thanks for your comments!
    --
    Prof Kenneth H Jacker khj@cs.appstate.edu
    Computer Science Dept www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

  2. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    I use qemu as virtual machine for Minix3.I think qemu is wounderful
    software because it is free ,small,no need installation.
    bochs run on linux not windows.I not good at linux.
    vmware is too expensive.
    I also want run minix on actual hardware.but I want become expert of
    Minix before installtion on actuall hardware.(I have only one machine)

  3. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    Kenneth Jacker writes:

    > I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    > virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.
    >

    > Which virtual machine are you using?

    I've been using Qemu + Bochs, but nor really extensively yet.

    > Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware?
    > (other than, of course, the fact that you do *not* need the hardware!)
    >
    > Any real disadvantages (other than slower execution speed)?

    AFAIR in both: The keyboard translation of non UK/US keyboards. The
    already translated keysyms need to be translated back into hardware
    events by the emulator and it seems the process is everything but
    foolproof, at least with my keyboards.

    > Appalachian State Univ
    > Boone, NC 28608 USA

    Well probably not a problem for you :-).

    In Bochs, I seem not to be able to change the frame color, which is
    bright white and therefore rather aggressive to the eyes in some
    cirumstances (like a black minix console with a lightgray foreground
    color).

    I remember that some years ago there where also clock problems, but do
    not know wether those have been resolved in the mean time.

    Regards -- Markus

  4. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    ghostalker0229 wrote:
    > bochs run on linux not windows.I not good at linux.
    > vmware is too expensive.

    Bochs runs fine on windows.

    There is VMWare player - which is AFAIK VMWare but without the ability
    to create virtual machines - you can still run ones you download though
    - and i think there might be pre-made minix3 images/VMs out there?

  5. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    zak.fenton wrote:
    > ghostalker0229 wrote:
    > > bochs run on linux not windows.I not good at linux.
    > > vmware is too expensive.

    > Bochs runs fine on windows.
    >
    > There is VMWare player - which is AFAIK VMWare but without the ability
    > to create virtual machines - you can still run ones you download though
    > - and i think there might be pre-made minix3 images/VMs out there?

    VMWare Player is free - forgot to mention

  6. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    "ghostalker0229" wrote in message
    news:1164613326.211594.102660@l12g2000cwl.googlegr oups.com...

    > I use qemu as virtual machine for Minix3.I think qemu is wounderful
    > software because it is free ,small,no need installation.
    > bochs run on linux not windows.I not good at linux.
    > vmware is too expensive.

    VMWare Server is free. I have it installed on my machine. I think MS Virtual
    Server (or maybe Workstation) is free now also.

    Tony

  7. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    > virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.

    > Which virtual machine are you using?
    >Any disadvantages of vmware ?

    Answer: I use VMware Server ,and used Virtual PC by Microsoft when I
    worked on windows OS.(linux now) And I strongly recommend you to use
    VMware Server which is free of charge and easily to get and install. I
    have installed many *nix OSes on it as well as some embedded systems
    ,just fine indeed. It is more powerful than VMware Player but very easy
    to use.
    There are many excellent virtual machine platforms ,such as bochs
    ,qemu, vmware ,virtual pc and so on ..among them,vmware is considered
    to be the fatest one ,because of its architecture .Shortly, it put more
    programs directly into the real hardware to process than others. And
    bochs is considered to be the slowest one .It totally tries itself to
    simulate guests by software other than hardware(not 100% though) But it
    is a classic virtual machine ,because it has a good debugger for OS
    development and it is free software.
    Now ,you can find disadvantages of VMware or others ,so it depends
    on your choice.

  8. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    > virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.
    >

    > Which virtual machine are you using?
    >
    > Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware?
    > (other than, of course, the fact that you do *not* need the hardware!)
    >
    > Any real disadvantages (other than slower execution speed)?
    >
    > Thanks for your comments!

    Minix 3 on VMware Server. Host runs Slackware with kernel 2.6.16.9.

    No installation issues. Just tell the virtual machine to boot off the
    ISO image and follow the instructions. Network card is an
    AMD Lance chipset.

    No performance issues, but the host is a pretty hefty (dual-core
    with 3 GB RAM) box.

    Lots of memory is A Good Thing.

    I find it a handy sandbox environment for evaluating things.
    I currently have Vista RC1, Syllable, Minix 3 and Puppy Linux
    all running as guests. That doesn't include the other stuff,
    like the PDP-11 emulator that runs System V Unix.

    Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
    Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
    ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

  9. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    > virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.
    >

    > Which virtual machine are you using?
    >
    > Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware?
    > (other than, of course, the fact that you do *not* need the hardware!)
    >
    > Any real disadvantages (other than slower execution speed)?
    >
    > Thanks for your comments!

    I suggest using QEMU with KQEMU -- however, due to the quirk in KQEMU (a
    proprietary driver that allows QEMU to become a virtual machine as
    opposed to a PC simulator, by running some code natively), Minix 3
    doesn't run if KQEMU is enabled. The only suggestion is to use the
    -no-kqemu command-line argument to QEMU. That aside, QEMU is a fast,
    clean PC emulator and virtual machine requiring very little
    configuration and very little overhead.

    QEMU just ****ing Works.

  10. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    Kenneth Jacker wrote:
    > I am interested in the experience of others running Minix3 on a
    > virtual machine (e.g., bochs, vmware, qemu, ...) versus dedicated PCs.
    >

    > Which virtual machine are you using?

    Vmware player.

    > Why do you prefer this approach instead of running on actual hardware?
    > (other than, of course, the fact that you do *not* need the hardware!)

    I just wanted to play with Minix while I read Tannenbaum's new book.
    I am reluctant to waste a pc on it. Running an image under vmware means
    that I can continue using Gentoo on my box.

  11. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    ghostalker0229 wrote:
    > I use qemu as virtual machine for Minix3.I think qemu is wounderful
    > software because it is free ,small,no need installation.
    > bochs run on linux not windows.I not good at linux.
    > vmware is too expensive.

    Vmware Player is free.
    And it runs the minix virtual machine image very well.

  12. Re: Minix3 with Virtual Machines

    I have VM Ware virtual machine and a minix3_1_1_smallvmware file of
    15.7 MB.
    When I opened the VM ware and loaded this file it is asking LOGIN and
    PASSWORD

    How can I log on to this?
    Please explain step by step because I am a novice.

    I am studying tanenbaum book which describes minix2. Can i use minix3
    while studying. Is it useful to do minix3 along with the book. I have
    no experience of Linux and I have only Windows XP.

    Please reply me preferably on my email

    my yahoo id is

    inguaravi@yahoo.co.in

    or