typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); - Minix

This is a discussion on typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); - Minix ; hi would someone please explain to me this typedef in line 01321 of appendix b: typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); i figure its a void datatype, but i don't know what the (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); is supposed to say...the book ...

  1. typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);

    hi
    would someone please explain to me this typedef in line 01321 of
    appendix b:

    typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);

    i figure its a void datatype, but i don't know what the
    (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); is supposed to say...the book also
    mentions how the timer struct makes use of tmr_func_t but to me this
    definition doesnt make sense as it doesnt conform to my understnading
    of a typedef as

    "typedef existing_type new_type_name"

    thanx,

    martin

  2. Re: typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);

    sancho1980 wrote:
    > hi
    > would someone please explain to me this typedef in line 01321 of
    > appendix b:
    >
    > typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);
    >
    > i figure its a void datatype, but i don't know what the
    > (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); is supposed to say...the book also
    > mentions how the timer struct makes use of tmr_func_t but to me this
    > definition doesnt make sense as it doesnt conform to my understnading
    > of a typedef as
    >
    > "typedef existing_type new_type_name"

    The typedef reads as "tmr_func_t is a user defined type name for a
    pointer to a function (returning void) that takes a pointer to a timer
    structure as an argument."

    HTH

    --
    Lew

  3. Re: typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);

    sancho1980 wrote:

    > typedef void (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp);

    The new type tmr_func_t is defined as the pointer to a function
    returning nothing (void) and expecting a pointer to a 'struct timer'

    > i figure its a void datatype, but i don't know what the
    > (*tmr_func_t)(struct timer *tp); is supposed to say...the book also
    > mentions how the timer struct makes use of tmr_func_t but to me this
    > definition doesnt make sense as it doesnt conform to my understnading
    > of a typedef as
    >
    > "typedef existing_type new_type_name"

    Read it this way (as you put it):

    typedef void (*)(struct timer *) tmr_func_t;
    [ -- existing_type -- ] [ new type ]

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --