Dual boot with Windows XP - Minix

This is a discussion on Dual boot with Windows XP - Minix ; Hi, I have a machine with Windows XP installed in it. Hard disk is 40 GB with one primary partition of 10 GB (now C:\ drive on which XP resides.) and one Extended partition of rest 30 GB(with three logical ...

  1. Dual boot with Windows XP

    Hi,

    I have a machine with Windows XP installed in it. Hard disk is 40 GB
    with one primary partition of 10 GB (now C:\ drive on which XP
    resides.) and one Extended partition of rest 30 GB(with three logical
    drives D:\ , E:\, F:\). The whole Hard disk is in NTFS format.Now I
    want to install Minix 3 and make a dual boot system with XP. I read the
    supporting documents provided in minix3.org, but don't know how to
    proceed as I have no more primary partition. So below are my doubts...

    How to proceed to get one more primary partition which minix wants to
    be installed in ? Do I need to delete the whole extended partition
    first and need to make another primary partition out of it ? Is it
    possible to keep minix in extended partition like Linux ?

    Is just installing minix on new primary partition will make my machine
    dual boot ? Will minix take care of making dual boot ? OR will XP take
    care of the same ? OR I need to install any other third party boot
    loader like GRUB or LILO ?

    With what format I need to format my new primary partition ? Do I need
    to change the NTFS format to FAT32 first ? OR minix takes care care of
    installation automatically irrespective of the format of the primary
    partition given to it?

    Please help me giving step wise procedure to solve it. Many many thanks
    from my end.

    Srinu

  2. Re: Dual boot with Windows XP

    Why don't you use BOCHS, Virtual PC or some-such?

    Andreas
    -------
    1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1.

+ Reply to Thread